Shrewsbury International School
Shrewsbury International School Bangkok (Thai: โรงเรียนนานาชาติโชรส์เบอรี กรุงเทพ) is a selective coeducational British international school in Charoeng Krung, Bang Kho Laem District, Bangkok, Thailand. It was established in 2003. Although it is an independent school, it is affiliated with Shrewsbury School in the UK. The school is divided into 3 schools: Pre prep school, Junior school and Senior school, which includes sixth form. The school follows the National Curriculum of England. It is considered one of Thailand's leading international schools.
|Shrewsbury International School Bangkok|
1922 Charoen Krung Road, Wat Prayakrai, Bang Kholame
|School type||International School|
|Motto||Intus Si Recte Ne Labora|
(If the heart is right, all will be well.)
|Age range||3 - 18 years old|
|International students||40 nationalities|
|Education system||National Curriculum for England|
|Classes offered||Early Year 1 - Year 13|
|Campuses||Shrewsbury International School Bangkok City Campus, Shrewsbury International School Hong Kong|
|Yearbook||On the River|
|Affiliation||FOBISIA, ONESQA, BISAC|
Shrewsbury International School Bangkok was founded in 2003. The first principal was Stuart Morris who was replaced by Stephen Holroyd, who arrived at Shrewsbury International School Bangkok in 2005. Holroyd worked at Shrewsbury School in the UK for 20 years, first as an English teacher then rising to be Deputy Master before his appointment to Bangkok. After 12 years of service, he became Chief Executive Officer of Shrewsbury International (Asia).
Christopher Seal, the Former Deputy Head (pastoral) of Millfield School in Somerset of UK, then, has held the position since August 2017.
Shrewsbury's curriculum is based around the English National Curriculum. The curriculum provides structured learning from the age of 3 to 18 years. The Early Years Foundation stage (age 3 years) is followed by a sequence of 5 "Key Stages", culminating in the advanced A-level programme (ages 16 - 18).
In 2017, 40% of A-level exams taken by Shrewsbury students in 2017 achieved the top A* grade while 71% of IGCSE exams scored A or A* grade, with 42% of exams earning the top A* grade.
Yearly tuition fees for the 2017-2018 school year range from 534,300 to 950,700 baht depending on grade level.
Facilities at Shrewsbury include:
- Library, with 40,000 books, CDs & DVDS (plus thousands more via online catalogue), separate junior and senior sections with study spaces and makerspace wall.
- Sixth Form Centre
- Auditorium called the Khunying Sumanee Memorial Hall, seating 580 people
- A Recital Hall located in the Music Department
- Music School
- Learning support zone
- Junior innovation centre
- A professional dance studio
- Interactive white boards in every classroom
- Fully equipped computer suites (Apple Mac and PC)
- Three gymnasiums
- Gymnastics hall
- Three tennis courts
- Two sports fields (one with running track)
- Three outdoor playgrounds
- Aquatics centre – including learners’ pool, junior pool (also used for water polo) and championship pool with electronic racing blocks and scoreboard
- Two dining room
As of 2017 the school had 1,600 students. About 70 percent were Thai. United Kingdom students were the second largest group of students.
The school is accredited by the Council for International Schools and ONESQA. It is also affiliated to the Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA) and is a member of the Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference (HMC).
- "Contact Us
- "Fees & Tuition". Shrewsbury International School. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- Shrewsbury International School Bangkok (official website)