Shota Horie (堀江 翔太 Horie Shōta) (born 21 January 1986 in Osaka, Japan) is a Japanese rugby union player. His preferred position is hooker although he can also play in the back row. He represents Japan at the international level. He has played for the Panasonic Wild Knights in the domestic Japanese Top League competition, and in 2013 began playing Super Rugby with the Melbourne Rebels in Australia, but has since gone back to Japan to play for the Sunwolves.
|Birth name||Shota Horie|
|Date of birth||21 January 1986|
|Place of birth||Suita, Osaka, Japan|
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||104 kg (16 st 5 lb; 229 lb)|
|School||Shimamoto High School|
|Rugby union career|
In 2012, Horie played for Japan, and in New Zealand for Otago in the National Provincial Championship, where he attracted the attention of the Melbourne Rebels recruiting staff. In November 2012, the Rebels announced Horie's signing to play Super Rugby in Australia. In 2013 he became the first Japanese player to play for an Australian Super Rugby side often on the reserves bench.
Super Rugby Statistics
- As of 22 July 2016
- "Shota Horie ESPN Scrum Player Profile". ESPN. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Shimizu, Masakazu; Shimbun, Yomiuri (20 February 2014). "Shota Horie, title winner of the Rugby Top League". Japan News. Yomiuri Shimbun. Archived from the original on 26 February 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- Carroll, Theo (20 February 2014). "When you're big in Japan" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Horie named Top League MVP". JRFU.org. 26 January 2016. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- Rebels Media Unit (21 November 2012). "Japanese international Shota Horie joins Rebels" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- Fairbairn, Pete (11 March 2013). "Horie hungry for success in Melbourne" (Press release). Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "Rebels sign a Japanese star". Rugby 365. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Melbourne Rebels sign Japan international hooker Shota Horie". Herald Sun. News. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
- "Shota Horie Player Profile". Melbourne Rebels. Retrieved 12 December 2012.