Sherlock Holmes (1932 film)
Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Conan Doyle's Master Detective Sherlock Holmes) is a 1932 American Pre-Code film starring Clive Brook as the eponymous London detective. The movie is based on the successful stage play Sherlock Holmes by William Gillette, in turn based on the stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, and is directed by William K. Howard for the Fox Film Corporation. Brook had played Holmes previously in The Return of Sherlock Holmes and the "Murder Will Out" segment of Paramount on Parade.
|Directed by||William K. Howard|
|Produced by||William K. Howard|
|Written by||Bertram Millhauser|
|Based on||Sherlock Holmes|
by William Gillette
|Music by||Hugo Friedhofer (uncredited)|
Fox Film Corporation
|Distributed by||Fox Film Corporation|
Reginald Owen plays Dr. Watson, and Ernest Torrence is Holmes's arch-rival, Professor Moriarty. Reginald Owen played Sherlock Holmes the following year in A Study in Scarlet. Owen is the first of only four actors to play both Holmes and Watson — Jeremy Brett played Watson on stage in the United States and, most famously, Holmes on British television, Carleton Hobbs played both roles in British radio adaptations, while Patrick Macnee played both roles in US television movies.
- Clive Brook ... Sherlock Holmes
- Miriam Jordan ... Alice Faulkner
- Ernest Torrence ... Moriarty
- Herbert Mundin ... George
- Reginald Owen ... Watson
- Howard Leeds ... Little Billy
- Alan Mowbray ... Colonel Gore-King
- C. Montague Shaw ... Judge
- Frank Atkinson ... Man in Bar
- Ivan F. Simpson ... Faulkner
- Stanley Fields ... Tony Ardetti
- Alan Barnes (2002). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Reynolds & Hearn Ltd. pp. 36–39. ISBN 1-903111-04-8.
- Bunson, Matthew (1994). Encyclopedia Sherlockiana: an A-to-Z guide to the world of the great detective. Macmillan. p. 232. ISBN 978-0-671-79826-0.
- Bunson, Matthew (1994). Encyclopedia Sherlockiana: an A-to-Z guide to the world of the great detective. Macmillan. p. 37. ISBN 978-0-671-79826-0.
- Barnes, Alan (2002). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Reynolds & Hearn. p. 39. ISBN 1-903111-04-8.
- Eyles, Allen (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. p. 86. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- Barnes, Alan (2011). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Titan Books. p. 224. ISBN 9780857687760.