Sherburn in Elmet
Sherburn in Elmet (pronounced // SHUR-bər-nin-EL-mit) is a large village, civil parish and electoral ward in the Selby district of North Yorkshire, England, situated near to Selby. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is one of only three places in the area to be explicitly associated with the ancient Celtic kingdom of Elmet via featuring the kingdom's title in its name, the others being Barwick-in-Elmet and Scholes-in-Elmet. According to the 2011 census, Sherburn has a population of 6,657.
|Sherburn in Elmet|
Sherburn town centre
|OS grid reference||SE506337|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
The village is of ancient establishment, possibly with Roman origins and was part of the wapentake of Barkston Ash in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The field adjoining All Saints' Church is the site of the palace of kings of Elmet, which was given (with the manor of Cawood) by Athelstan to the Archbishops of York on his conversion to Christianity in or around the 10th century.
- REDIRECT [[The passage deleted and images cited, about two Anglo-Saxon stones, relate to St Hilda's church at Sherburn in the East Riding, sometimes known as Sherburn in Harford Lythe.]
The church itself is unusually large for a village parish church and dates from around 1120, with Norman pillars and a later-built large tower housing a ring of eight bells. It was built on the site of an earlier Anglo-Saxon church. The Battle of Towton was fought nearby in 1461 and local legend tells that King Edward IV, who won the battle, used the church tower as a point for surveying the battle lines.
During the English Civil War, the village was garrisoned by the Royalists for King Charles I; it was close to their stronghold at Selby and the northern capital of York, and commanded the approaches from both the south and the west. In 1645, the Parliamentarians attacked Sherburn and defeated the garrison. On 15 October 1645 the Battle of Sherburn-in-Elmet took place. A Royalist force commanded by Lord Digby and Sir Marmaduke Langdale attacked and initially defeated the Parliamentarian garrison now based in the village. However, another Parliamentarian force, under Colonel Copley, counterattacked and routed the Royalists. Thus was defeated the last significant Royalist force in the North during the First English Civil War.
Culture and community
Sherburn in Elmet is often referred to locally as simply 'Sherburn'. It has Leeds as its post town and an LS25 postcode, but is in the Borough of Selby in North Yorkshire rather than the City of Leeds, which is in West Yorkshire.
Squires Cafe just outside Sherburn is a long-established meeting place for motorcycle riders, particularly on Wednesday evenings and Sunday afternoons. The roads leading into Sherburn-in-Elmet are known nationally for the varied and pleasurable rides they offer for motorcyclists.
The town is now home to a major industrial site attracting large businesses such as Eddie Stobart Ltd. The former Gascoigne Wood mine, which was part of the Selby coalfield project, is to the south-east.
Home to Sherburn-in-Elmet Airfield which is currently the base for the Sherburn Aero Club, Sherburn's links with the air industry go back to the Second World War when the Blackburn Aircraft Company built the Fairey Swordfish in the town. Production ended in 1945, and by then 1,699 such aircraft had been built in Sherburn. The airfield also saw the first flight of L.E. Baynes's famous prototype glider, the Baynes Bat.
The town is served by Sherburn-in-Elmet railway station with services to York railway station, Hull Paragon Interchange and Sheffield railway station, with a second station (South Milford railway station) in nearby South Milford providing services to Leeds and Hull. Arriva Yorkshire buses go to Leeds, Tadcaster and Selby.
Sherburn has a large manufacturing and trading base with British Gypsum being a long time major employer, Sainsbury's have a distribution centre. In 2011 bus manufacturer, Optare moved their factory from Cross Gates to a new purpose built site in the village.
Sherburn has two primary schools, Hungate and Athelstan. The secondary school, Sherburn High School, has recently gained the status of a specialist science school.
Sherburn Eversley Cricket Club
Sherburn Eversley Cricket Club was formed in the 20th century and play at Eversley Park in Sherburn-in-Elmet. The club has two teams that play on a Saturday afternoons in the Leeds & Wetherby Cricket League; with the firsts gaining promotion and playing in the Second division in 2016 and the second team playing in Division Five. The club also has a Thursday evening team.
Sherburn White Rose Football Club
The Bacon Factory Pond is a local recreational fishery located on the eastern side of the town. With a total of 40 pegs the fishery is controlled by the Wheatsheaf Angling Club. The pond is stocked with perch, carp, roach, bream, tench, eels and pike.
Compass Martial Arts
Established in 2016, Compass Martial Arts is based on Sherburn Industrial Estate in a purpose built Dojo, delivering Karate, Kickboxing and Okinawan Weaponry classes
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics – Area: Sherburn in Elmet (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- C. Hibbert, Cavaliers and Roundheads (1993), pp.237–238; V. Wedgwood, The King's War (1983 edition), p.504
- Historic England. "Battle of Sherburn in Elmet (1121106)". PastScape. Retrieved 30 January 2014.
- "Squires Cafe-Bar". Retrieved 7 October 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sherburn in Elmet.|
- Parish Council Community Web Site
- Sherburn-in-Elmet homepage
- All Saints Church
- Sherburn notams, weather, photos & pilots reviews on ukga.com
- The Ancient Parish of Sherburn in Elmet at GENUKI
- Sherburn Eversley Cricket Club
- Sherburn Bears ARLFC Sherburn Bears Amateur Rugby League – Open *Age & Under 8's – Based at Eversly Park*
- Sherburn Aero Club Sherburn Aeroclub, light aircraft hire and PPL training.