She Knows Y'Know
She Knows Y'Know is a low budget 1962 black and white British comedy film directed by Montgomery Tully and starring comedienne Hylda Baker. The film takes its title from Hylda Baker's most famous catch-phrase. The BFI describes the film as a "low life comedy, unfolded against an industrial town backdrop".
|She Knows Y'know|
|Directed by||Montgomery Tully|
|Produced by||Maurice J. Wilson|
|Written by||Montgomery Tully|
Maurice J. Wilson
|Based on||play by Kate Sullivan|
|Music by||Ken Thorne|
|Edited by||Maurice Rootes|
|Distributed by||Grand National Pictures (UK)|
In the North of England in the 1950s, the lives of two very different families become entwined. The Worswicks are a working class family led by domineering mother Hylda (Hylda Baker) with husband Joe (Cyril Smith) and academically bright son Leslie (Peter Myers). Neighbours the Smallhopes are aspiring middle class, led by mother Euphemia (Joan Sanderson), husband Clarence (Neil Wilson), with attractive daughter Marilyn (Linda Castle), whose sudden pregnancy is the catalyst for unfolding dramas involving both families.
- Hylda Baker as Hylda Worswick
- Cyril Smith as Joe Worswick
- Joe Gibbons as Charlie Todger
- Peter Myers as Leslie Worswick
- Linda Castle as Marilyn Smallhope
- Tim Connor as Terry Roy
- Neil Wilson as Clarence Smallhope
- Joan Sanderson as Euphemia Smallhope
- Alfred Burke as Mr. Fox
- Lucy Griffiths as Jenny Higginbottom
- Leonard Sachs as John Dawson
- Patricia Shakesby as Valerie
More recent reception, of the DVD re-issue, has been mixed.
Eurwyn sees Hylda's film She Knows Y'Know as one of the holy grails of British comedy. "We've lost so much over the years and I'm convinced many are still out there. You have to know where to look. Jean tried the BFI, but the film wasn't in good condition so I put feelers out as a past film collector and went, let us say, to see a man about a dog! I found the film in immaculate condition. Nobody had watched it for half a century. It was a really good feeling, and I couldn't wait to see it."
He negotiated use of the print, tracked down copyright holders to ensure it could be shared with fans across the world, and teamed up with Renown Pictures, who restore classic movies, putting the print through modern technology to present a crystal clear picture quality and sound. She Knows Y'Know is now out on DVD.
Eurwyn concludes: "Hylda was one of the funniest women ever. All those hours I've spent tracking down this early example of her talent have been worth it, and the digital transfer results are brilliant. The film shows she was not only a brilliant comedienne, but an actress of great note, too, which she later proved in films such as Up the Junction and Oliver."
- "She Knows Y'Know [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Hylda Baker, Cyril Smith, Joe Gibbons, Montgomery Tully: DVD & Blu-ray". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "She Knows Y'know | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "She Knows, Y'know DVD | Classic Movies | Films by Movie Mail UK". Moviemail.com. 3 October 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "She Knows, Y'know". dvdgold. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "She Knows Y'Know Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "She Knows Y'Know (1962) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast". AllMovie. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "He knows y'know..." The Gazette. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2014.