Shantytown is a 1943 American crime film directed by Joseph Santley and written by Olive Cooper. The film stars Mary Lee, John Archer, Marjorie Lord, Harry Davenport, Billy Gilbert and Anne Revere. The film was released on April 20, 1943, by Republic Pictures.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joseph Santley|
|Produced by||Harry Grey|
|Screenplay by||Olive Cooper|
|Music by||Walter Scharf|
|Edited by||Thomas Richards|
|Distributed by||Republic Pictures|
Liz Gorty, the daughter of the owners of a boarding house, takes a liking to a new married mechanic in town, Bill Allen. He gets mixed up with a gang of thieves who force him him to drive a getaway car in a robbery. Knowing he has been framed, Bill goes into hiding and Liz uses her job at a radio station to get messages to him.
- Mary Lee as Elizabeth 'Liz' Gorty
- John Archer as Bill Allen
- Marjorie Lord as Virginia Allen
- Harry Davenport as 'Doc' Herndon
- Billy Gilbert as 'Papa' Ferrelli
- Anne Revere as Mrs. Gorty
- John F. Hamilton as Mr. Gorty
- Frank Jenks as 'Whitey'
- Cliff Nazarro as 'Shortcake'
- Carl Switzer as 'Bindy'
- Robert Homans as Dugan
- Noel Madison as 'Ace' Lambert
- Matty Malneck as Orchestra Leader
- Matty Malneck's Orchestra as Orchestra