Shades of Jade
|All About Jazz|
|Shades of Jade|
|Studio album by|
|Released||September 17, 2005|
Avatar Studios, New York City
|Producer||Manfred Eicher, Eliane Elias|
|Marc Johnson chronology|
The album's title has biographical significance. Marc Johnson first came to the attention of players and listeners around the world as the bassist of Bill Evans' last great piano trio, between 1978 and 1980. The title track of the album, "Shades of Jade," was inspired by legendary Scott La Faro's "Jade Visions", first featured on Sunday at the Village Vanguard, in which he provided a lesson in how intensity can be focused in inward-looking music. On Shades of Jade you get a treat of engaging and sensual, lyrical and swinging music. It reaped praise far and wide. The New York Times enthused over the "luminescence" created by the close partnership between Elias and Johnson, while The Village Voice said the album was "shimmering" yet its "lusciousness has all sorts of tensile strength."
All About Jazz critique John Kelman, in his review of Shades of Jade stated: "Some would argue that it's impossible to call a recording classic until sufficient time has passed to determine its true staying power. Still, one can say that a recording has the makings of a classic—especially in its ability to be simultaneously of its time and timeless..."
BBC music critique Peter Marsh wrote: "...But it's the ballads (and especially Elias's poised, emotionally charged soloing) that stay in the memory long after the CD's finished. While this music might not change your world, it'll feel like a better place while you're listening to it. That can't be bad." The Guardian reviewer awarded the album four stars.
All pieces by Marc Johnson (1, 3, 5, 7-8) and Eliane Elias (1-4, 6, 9).
- "Ton Sur Ton" (5:55)
- "Apareceu" (6:04)
- "Shades of Jade" (7:40)
- "In 30 Hours" (6:10)
- "Blue Nefertiti" (7:14)
- "Snow" (8:24)
- "Since You Asked" (3:18)
- "Raise" (6:35)
- "All Yours" (4:11)
- "Don't Ask of Me" (5:13)
- "ECM Review". ECMrecords.com. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- "Marc Johnson - Shades of Jade". Discogs. discogs.com. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Fordham, John (2005-10-21). "Marc Johnson, Shades of Jade (ECM) – Review". Guardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- HOVAN, ANDREW (November 12, 2005). "Marc Johnson: Shades Of Jade (2005)". allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- "Marc Johnson: Shades of Jade". Sputnikmusic. sputnikmusic.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- Layman, Will (27 November 2005). "Marc Johnson: Shades of Jade". PopMatters. popmatters.com. Retrieved 16 February 2018.
- Kelman, John (2004-06-21). "Marc Johnson: Shades of Jade (2005) Track Review". allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- Marsh, Peter. "Marc Johnson Shades of Jade Review". BBC. bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 18 December 2015.