Separation (United States military)

In the U.S. armed forces, separation means that a person is leaving active duty, but not necessarily leaving the service entirely. Separation typically occurs when someone reaches the date of their Expiration of Term of Service (ETS) and are released from active duty, but still must complete their military reserve obligations. Upon separation, they receive form DD214, which indicates their former and future status.[1] It is important to keep a copy of the DD-214 form. In order to receive VA benefits a 214 certificate must be shown. [2]. A veteran or their next of kin may request a copy of the 214 form from by going to National Personal Records Center's website. (

When a person completes their full military obligation, they are discharged and receive a formal certificate of discharge, usually an Honorable Discharge.

Post Separation employment resources 1.)Department of Labor 2.)USA Jobs 3.)Feds Hire Vets 4.)Office of Warrior Care Policy 5.)Department Of Health and Human Services[3]


  1. "DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty". Retrieved September 1, 2019.
  2. "The Military Separation Guide for Active Duty Personnel:". VetsFirst. VetsFirst. Retrieved December 3, 2019.
  3. "VETERANS & MILITARY FUNERAL HONORS - RESOURCES". military one source. Retrieved December 4, 2019.

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.