Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman
Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman (English: Tuanku Abdul Rahman School; abbreviated STAR) is a premier, all-boys fully residential school in Malaysia funded by the Government of Malaysia. Named after the first Yang di-Pertuan Agong (King) of the Federation of Malaya, Almarhum Seri Paduka Baginda Tuanku Abdul Rahman ibni Almarhum Tuanku Muhammad, it is located in Ipoh, Perak. The school started at an army camp in Baeza Avenue (now known as Jalan Hospital). Formerly known as Malay Secondary School, the school was built by the Malayan government in 1957. In 2011,the school was awarded with the Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi or High Performance School title, a title awarded to schools in Malaysia that have met stringent criteria including academic achievement, strength of alumni, international recognition, network and linkages.
|Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman|
Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah,
|Type||Secondary school, Boarding school, Sekolah Berasrama Penuh, Premier all-boys school|
|Motto||Ilmu Panduan Hidup|
(Knowledge is the way of Life)
|School district||North Kinta (Kinta Utara)|
|Principal||Encik Mohamad Zakaria Bin Mohamad Yusof (01.04.2019)|
|Grades||Form 1- Form 5|
|Number of students||600|
|Classes||S,T,A,R & P|
|Slogan||STAR Moving Forward|
|Affiliations||Sekolah Berasrama Penuh Ministry of Education (Malaysia)|
|Sports House||Blue, Black, Red, White, Green, Yellow|
In 1950s, a few hundred promising rural children who had completed their Malay primary level education, and their placement in a few selected schools in Ipoh, Pulau Pinang, Kuala Lipis, Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bharu were chosen to be the pioneer students of the first three Malay residential secondary schools for rural children. They were planned in Ipoh, Tg. Malim, and Melaka. These schools were later known as Sekolah Tuanku Abd Rahman (STAR), Ipoh; Sekolah Dato' Abdul Razak (SDAR), Tg. Malim; and Sekolah Tun Fatimah (STF), Melaka.
In 1957, 360 of these 13–15-year-old children were placed in five old wooden military barracks vacated by the Malay Regiments, at what was then known as Baeza Avenue, Ashby Road, Ipoh (the site where Sekolah Kebangsaan Sri Kinta, Jalan Hospital, Ipoh, now stands).
Initially, the military barracks; with twelve wooden classrooms, became the new students' school, known as the Malay Secondary School (MSS), Ipoh. Classrooms, sleeping quarters (dormitories), dining hall etc. were all cramped in the barracks within barbed wire fences surrounding the 4-acre site. There was no space for the school to have a hall, or a playing computer.
The school started on 13 January 1957, with the admission of 200 of these children into Form One. In March, another 160 joined the school to join the Remove Class. A year in what was called “Remove Class” was deemed necessary for every intake of students at the start. The purpose was to equip the students with sufficient command of English language that would enable them to commence their secondary education with English as the medium of instruction. Hence around 60-70% of the time in Remove Class was devoted to the teaching and learning of English Language. The Remove Class ceased to exist when Bahasa Malaysia was made the sole medium of instruction in secondary schools in the country in the early 1970s.
Teaching was done by a group of 15 teachers led by En Hamdan b Sheikh Tahir (Allahyarham Tun Hamdan b Sheikh Tahir) as the first principal. Classes were conducted following the standard curriculum offered in the English medium secondary schools of the day. Associations such as the English and Malay Literary and Debating societies were set up A Boy Scout group, a Red Cross Society and a St. John Ambulance Association group were also formed. The lack of a school hall did not deter the boys from staging a school play for the town folks using another school hall at ACS Ipoh. The absence of a school field of their own did not prevent the boys from playing soccer, hockey and rugby two days a week on “borrowed” ground at the Anderson School new field. The tradition of having Annual School Sports Day was also started in the first year when on 12 July 1957, using the Anderson School field, the school held its first School Sports Day.
The official opening
On 14 May 1958, the name Malay Secondary School (MSS) gave way to the name “STAR” after the school was officially opened and renamed “Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman” Ipoh, by the first Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj.
The hope and the aspiration the government placed on the school in helping the Malays were reflected by some of the words of the Yang Dipertuan Agong, the Prime Minister, and the Minister of Education in their messages commemorating the day:
- “The main object of your school is to impart knowledge more particularly in English and to mould character, and it is imperative that there should be schools of this kind in Malaya, if the Malays, as a race, are to be able to climb the educational ladder and to enter technical colleges and universities.”
Yang Dipertuan Agong, Istana Negara, Kuala Lumpur. 26 April 1958
- “The official opening of this residential secondary school is an event of vital importance for all young Malay boys. Coming from kampongs all over the country they will find here every facility for training under the best conditions, providing a firm foundation for their work and study in the years to come……….As Tuanku Abdul Rahman School is the first of its kind, it can be both a spur to the ambitions of the people and an inspiration to all Malays..”
Tunku Abdul Rahman, Prime Minister, Federation Of Malaya. 8 May 1958
- “The ceremony today marks a new chapter in the history of Malay education, a milestone for the Malay secondary education, since the first primary Malay residential school was started about fifty years ago (MCKK)……The school, as well as the other Malay Secondary Schools and classes, have been established with the purpose of meeting the wishes and resolution of the Government and the people of independent Federation of Malaya towards raising the standard of Malay education, and through it, to attain further development of the Malay language and the improvement of the living standards of the Malays.”
Mohd Khir Johari, Minister of Education, Federation of Malaya. 10 May 1958
The opening and renaming of the school was symbolised by the Prime Minister unveiling a brass plaque with the inscription of the school name mounted on a granite boulder placed in the roundabout in front of the main school block. The ceremony was witnessed by the whole school in the presence of many dignitaries including the Deputy Prime Minister, YAB Dato Abd Razak Hussain, Federal Ministers and the Menteri Besar of Perak YAB En Ghazali Jawi. The occasion was celebrated with an exhibition of handiwork put up by the boys, a mass drill and a display by a military band, a soccer match between the young school team and the junior team of the Malay College Kuala Kangsar, and a variety concert.
- 2 January 1957 - MSS operated from a temporary site (a former British Army Barrack) at Baeza Avenue, Off Ashby Road, Ipoh, Perak with 360 students. The first headmaster of the school was Tuan Hj. Hamdan Bin Sheikh Tahir.
- 6 January 1958 - the school moved to its present site along Tiger Lane, Ipoh (now Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah).
- 14 May 1958 - the official opening and renaming of the school by the first Prime Minister of Federation Of Malaya YTM Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj.
- The school is now known as Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman, named after the first Yang Di Pertuan Agong of the Federation, His Majesty Tuanku Abdul Rahman.
- 23 September 1958 - royal Visit by His Majesty Yang Di Pertuan Agong Tuanku Abdul Rahman.
- November 1959 - the first batch of students sat the Lower Certificate of Education examination.
- January 1960 - Form Four classes started.
- November 1961 - STAR's first batch of candidates (155) sat for the combined Cambridge Overseas School Certificate/Federation of Malaya Certificate examinations.
- January 1962 - Form Six Classes started.
- November 1963 - STAR's first batch of Upper Six Classes (Arts and Science) sat for the Overseas Higher School Certificate examination.
- January 1964 - female students were admitted (STAR is a boys’ residential school) to the school joining Lower Six Science class.
- January 1965 - 13 girls were admitted to the school entering Lower Six classes.
- 1975 - school stopped the enrolment of pupils into Remove Classes
- January 1981 - enrolment of first 2nd generation Starian. Alimin Ismadi, the son of Ismail Salleh (second batch) joined Form One.
- June 1981 - official launch of Kelas Matrikulasi Sains with Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- 1982 - Silver Jubilee.
- 15 August 1982 - Hussein Salleh (first batch) returned to the school as Principal.
STAR was Perak state rugby champion for many years, culminating in winning the Mori Trophy in 1968. Many of the players went on to don state and national colours. The rugby's team battlecry of "Cobra tasha, Cobra tasha, shina shina STAR" is the embodiment of the school's spirit. In 2016, Cobratasha had become the Champion of Malaysia Super Six School Rugby. They are also one of the greatest rugby team among Malaysian schools.
Anaconda is the STAR's hockey team. They had been one of the excellent and strongest hockey team among Sekolah Berasrama Penuh and Schools in Malaysia. They had been crowned as the champion in a lots of hockey tournaments between schools around Malaysia. Below are their achievements :
|2nd RUNNER UP PREMIER SCHOOL PERAK||2011|
|CHAMPION SBP NORTHERN ZONE||2011|
|QUARTER FINAL MBI/MILO||2011|
|1st RUNNER UP MSSD KINTA UTARA||2012|
|CHAMPION SMS KEPALA BATAS TOURNAMENT||2012|
|QUARTER FINAL INDOOR UPSI||2012|
|2nd RUNNER UP 30-50 CLUB CUP||2012|
|CHAMPION SBP NORTHERN ZONE||2013|
|CHAMPION SBP NATIONAL||2013|
|1st RUNNER UP PREMIER SCHOOL PERAK||2013|
|CHAMPION SMS KEPALA BATAS TOURNAMENT||2013|
|CHAMPION SBP NORTHERN ZONE||2014|
|CHAMPION SBP NATIONAL||2014|
|CHAMPION PIALA PENGARAH IPG||2014|
|CHAMPION KARNIVAL HOCKEY UNITEN KPM||2014|
|CHAMPION SMS KEPALA BATAS TOURNAMENT||2014|
|CHAMPION INTER-STRAITS MAS-SINGAPORE||2015|
|CHAMPION SBP NATIONAL UNITEN CUP||2015|
|CHAMPION u14 DATUK SHAHRUL ZAMAN CUP||2015|
|CHAMPION SMS KEPALA BATAS TOURNAMENT||2015|
|1ST RUNNER UP IPOH LADS TOURNAMENT U14||2015|
|CHAMPION IPOH LADS TOURNAMENT U16||2015|
|CHAMPION INTER-SBP PERAK||2016|
|CHAMPION SBP NATIONAL||2016|
|1st RUNNER UP KEJOHANAN HOKI PIALA NAIB CANSELOR USAS||2016|
|1st RUNNER UP IPOH LADS TOURNAMENT U16||2016|
|CHAMPION ANACAONDA CHALLENGE TROPHY U15 INTERSBP||2016|
|1st RUNNER UP UPSI INDOOR 2016||2016|
|1st RUNNER UP MSSD 2017||2017|
|1st RUNNER UP STAR INVITATIONAL HOCKEY TOURNAMENT|
|CHAMPION HOCKEY SBP 2017||2017|
|CHAMPION HOCKEY SBP 2018||2018|
All- STAR Debating Union consists of two clubs which is Keluarga Debat Bahasa Melayu and English Debate Club And Society. They are one of the highly recognised Debating Team in Sekolah Berasrama Penuh. The English Debate Club And Society which is the English debating club of STAR Ipoh had joined and won a lot of national and international debate competitions. The Keluarga Debat Bahasa Melayu is the Malay debating club of STAR Ipoh had won in numerous competitions in Malaysia. The All-STAR Debating Union IS one of the most successful and excellent clubs in the school. Below are some of their successful achievements :
|DEBAT TERBUKA MCKK CHAMPION||2006|
|DEBAT PIALA TNC UKM CHAMPION||2009|
|IIUM INTERSCHOOL DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP (IDC) RUNNER UP||2010|
|PIALA PERDANA MENTERI SEMI FINAL||2010|
|BAHAS PIALA REKTOR UTP CHAMPION||2011|
|PIALA PERDANA MENTERI CHAMPION||2011|
|IIUM INTER SCHOOL DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP (IDC) SEMI FINAL||2012|
|MUSLEH INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP (MISDC) CHAMPION||2012|
|PERTANDINGAN DEBAT PIALA KOPERASI SERI SERDANG CHAMPION||2012|
|PERTANDINGAN DEBAT YAYASAN SELANGOR CHAMPION||2012|
|PERTANDINGAN DEBAT PERSAHABATAN ADCE-MiG CHAMPION||2013|
|DEBAT YAYASAN SELANGOR SEMI FINAL||2013|
|DEBAT PIALA TUN RAZAK RUNNER UP||2013|
|CABARAN DEBAT MUDA 2121 UNIVERSITI TEKNOLOGI PETRONAS SEMI FINAL||2013|
|PERTANDINGAN DEBAT JUNIOR SEHEBAT CHAMPION||2014|
|PIALA PERDANA MENTERI SEMI FINAL||2014|
|DEBAT DAKWAH NEGARA CHAMPION||2014|
|MUSLEH INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP (MISDC) RUNNER UP||2014|
|DEBAT PIALA MENTERI BESAR PERAK RUNNER UP||2014|
|CABARAN DEBAT ZA'ABA, UKM CHAMPION||2015|
|PIALA PERDANA MENTERI CHAMPION||2015|
|IIUM INTERSCHOOL DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPION||2016|
|PERTANDINGAN DEBAT LAVOS UiTM MELAKA CHAMPION||2016|
|PIALA PERDANA MENTERI SEMI FINAL||2016|
|DEBAT JUNIOR SEHEBAT SEMI FINAL||2016|
|MUSLEH INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS DEBATING CHAMPIONSHIP (MISDC) SEMI FINAL||2016|
STARWINDS YOUTH ORCHESTRA are the orchestra band of STAR Ipoh. They are one of the most recognizable Sekolah Berasrama Penuh orchestra team. The team consist of members range from Form 1 - Form 5 students and lead by Cikgu Azli Yaacob and also an external instructor. The team was first set up in the 70's and only active in school and later left out in the winds. In 1997, Cikgu Azli Yaacob re-erect the team back again to join the first Pertandingan Wind Orchestra Sekolah Berasrama Penuh in Johor Bahru, hosted by Sekolah Tun Fatimah. In 1999, they joined the second Pertandingan Wind Orchestra Sekolah Berasrama Penuh in Kuala Lumpur and managed to impress the judges and competitors even though they only manage to get Silver Awards. In the year 2001, STAR hosted the third Pertandingan Wind Orchestra Sekolah Berasrama Penuh and the Starwinds team managed to earn their first Gold Award. Besides Cikgu Azli, the team also supported by a small group of the team's old boys that is known as Tiger Lane Masterboys. Below are some of their recognizable achievements:
|Winter Band Festival||Silver Award in 2013
Invitation to perform outdoor in Disneyland Hong Kong
|Karnival Muzik Pulau Pinang||Gold with Honours Award in 2015 & 2017
Gold Award in 2016 & 2018
|Malaysia International Music Art Festival Genting Highlands||Gold with Honours Award in 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018|
|Pertandingan Wind Orchestra Sekolah Berasrama Penuh||2nd in 2014
3rd in 2003
Gold Award for 9 times
|Perarakan Hari Kebangsaan Negeri Perak||Placing every year since 2000|
|Perak Band Competition (Formation)||3rd in 2007|
STAR Old Boys Weekend
STAR Old Boys Weekend (OBW) is an annual event organised by the school alumni which called as STAR Old Boys Association (STAROBA). During this event, all oldboys will come to this event to meet their batch mates and members during their study at the school. This event is held at the school. There are a lots of activities during this event such as hockey, rugby and basketball games.
The alumni or old boys of the school are affiliated to STAROBA, the Sekolah Tuanku Abdul Rahman Old Boys Association. The society is involved in activities like Old Boys Weekend and other sporting events involving alumni of other schools. The current president of the association is Faizal Othman.
Notable alumni include:
- Md Raus Sharif - Former Chief Justice of Malaysia
- Awang Adek Hussin - Ambassador of Malaysia to the United States of America & Former Deputy Ministry of Finance (Malaysia)
- Hamzah Zainuddin - Deputy Minister of Ministry of Plantation Industries and Commodities (Malaysia)
- Idris Jusoh - former Terengganu chief minister, Chairman of MARA (Majlis Amanah Rakyat), Education and Higher Learning Minister II
- Annuar Musa - former Minister of Youth and Sports
- Mohd Zaid Ibrahim - Prominent Malaysian lawyer, former Minister in the Prime Minister's Department in charge of legal affairs and judicial reforms
- Abdul Samad Alias - President of the Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants, President of the Malaysian Institute of Accountants
- Abdullah Hassan - Malay Language Professor
- Rashidi Ishak - Actor and guitarist of Dead Mushroom
- Kecemerlangan sekolah satu gender, Utusan Online
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 13 May 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 21 June 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 18 December 2012. Retrieved 18 April 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)