See You Up There (film)
See You Up There (French: Au revoir là-haut) is a 2017 French drama film written and directed by and starring Albert Dupontel, adapted from the novel The Great Swindle (Au revoir là-haut in French) by Pierre Lemaitre.
|See You Up There|
|Au revoir là-haut|
|Directed by||Albert Dupontel|
|Produced by||Catherine Bozorgan|
|Written by||Albert Dupontel|
|Based on||Au revoir là-haut|
by Pierre Lemaitre
Nahuel Pérez Biscayart
|Music by||Christophe Julien|
|Edited by||Christophe Pinel|
Gaumont Film Company
|Distributed by||Gaumont Film Company|
|Box office||$15.1 million|
In November 1918, a few days before the Armistice, Edouard Péricourt saves Albert Maillard's life. The two men have nothing in common but the war. Lieutenant Pradelle, by ordering a senseless assault, destroys their lives while binding them as companions in misfortune. On the ruins of the carnage of WWI, condemned to live, the two attempt to survive. Thus, as Pradelle is about to make a fortune with the war victims' corpses, Albert and Edouard mount a monumental scam with the bereaved families' commemoration and with a nation's hero worship.
- Albert Dupontel as Albert Maillard
- Nahuel Pérez Biscayart as Edouard Péricourt
- Laurent Lafitte as Captain Henri d'Aulnay-Pradelle
- Niels Arestrup as President Marcel Péricourt
- Émilie Dequenne as Madeleine Péricourt
- Mélanie Thierry as Pauline
- Héloïse Balster as Louise
- Philippe Uchan as Labourdin
- André Marcon as The police officer
- Michel Vuillermoz as Joseph Merlin
- Kyan Khojandi as Dupré
- Carole Franck as Sister Hortense
- Philippe Duquesne as The station officer
- Éloïse Genet as Cécile
- Axelle Simon as Madame Belmont
- Denis Podalydès as The minister
- Gilles Gaston-Dreyfus as The mayor
- Jacques Mateu as The prefect
Jordan Mintzer from The Hollywood Reporter wrote: " the film features a handful of jaw-dropping moments — such as an excruciating battle across no man's land — held together by a strong cast, including BPM (Beats Per Minute) star Nahuel Perez Biscayart as a disfigured artist hidden behind an array of exquisitely ornamental masks. But condensing nearly 600 pages of story into a two-hour movie proves increasingly difficult as too many plot points take away from all the visual splendor, while the characters hardly have time to be drawn out." Peter Debruge writing for the Variety magazine said: "...simultaneously grand and eccentric, and though it sometimes struggles to sustain its identity amid such a strange mix of tones, the film holds together via DP Vincent Mathias’ dramatic widescreen lensing and a splendid, understated score from Christophe Julien." Jordi Costa from the Spanish newspaper El País stated: "Albert Dupontel knows that a black comedy doesn't only have to be cynical and his film finds its soul in the masks that communicate the emotions of one of his characters."
See You Up There earned 13 nominations at the 43rd César Awards, winning 5 awards. The film also won other awards.
|César Awards||Best Adaptation||Albert Dupontel
|Best Cinematography||Vincent Mathias||Won|
|Best Production Design||Pierre Queffelean||Won|
|Best Costume Design||Mimi Lempicka||Won|
|Best Director||Albert Dupontel||Won|
|Best Actor||Albert Dupontel||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actress||Mélanie Thierry||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Niels Arestrup||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Laurent Lafitte||Nominated|
|Best Original Music||Christophe Julien||Nominated|
|Best Sound||Jean Minondo
|Best Editing||Christophe Pinel||Nominated|
|Best Film||Catherine Bozorgan
|Globes de Cristal Awards||Best Film||Albert Dupontel||Nominated|
|Best Actor||Albert Dupontel||Nominated|
|Lumières Awards||Best Cinematography||Vincent Mathias||Nominated|
|Best Film||Albert Dupontel||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay||Albert Dupontel
|Seattle International Film Festival||Best Director (Golden Space Needle Award)||Albert Dupontel||Fifth Place|
- "Productions Cinématographique: Listes des Films Agreès" (spreadsheet). National Center of Cinematography and the Moving Image. 27 March 2018. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- JP. "Au revoir là-haut". JP'S Box-Office. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- Palanchini, Coretin (26 January 2016). "Albert Dupontel réalisera Au revoir là-haut avec Laurent Lafitte et Niels Arestrup". AlloCiné. Webedia. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Canu, Joseph (11 March 2016). "Albert Dupontel adapte un Goncourt dans le Vexin". La Gazette du Val d'Oise. Actu. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Albert Dupontel en tournage d'"Au revoir là-haut" jusqu'à la mi-juin". Le Film Français. 11 March 2016. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- Georges, Pierre (11 March 2016). "Le tournage d'"Au revoir là-haut" a commencé". Livres Hebdo. Electre S.A. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "See You Up There (Au revoir là-haut) (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- Mintzer, Jordan. "'See You Up There' ('Au revoir la-haut'): Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Debruge, Peter. "Film Review: 'See You Up There' (Au revoir là-haut)". PeteVariety magazine. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- Jordi, Costa. "Senderos de ignominia". El País. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "See You Up There - Awards". IMDb. Retrieved 9 November 2018.