Second Sturgeon government
Nicola Sturgeon formed the second Sturgeon government following her Scottish National Party's victory in the 2016 Scottish Parliament election. Sturgeon was nominated by a vote of the 5th Scottish Parliament for appointment to the post of First Minister on 17 May 2016. She was subsequently appointed by Queen Elizabeth II on 18 May, and announced formation of a new Scottish National Party minority government.
|Second Sturgeon government|
|8th devolved government of Scotland|
|Date formed||18 May 2016|
|People and organisations|
|First Minister||Rt Hon Nicola Sturgeon|
|Deputy First Minister||John Swinney|
|Total no. of ministers||25 (including First Minister)|
|Member party||Scottish National Party|
|Status in legislature||Minority|
|Legislature term(s)||5th Scottish Parliament|
|Predecessor||First Sturgeon government|
In the May 2016 Scottish Parliament election, the Scottish National Party (SNP) won 63 of the 129 seats contested. Incumbent First Minister Nicola Sturgeon soon afterwards announced her intention to form a minority government. She was nominated for the post of First Minister by a vote of the Scottish Parliament on 17 May, defeating Scottish Liberal Democrats leader Willie Rennie by 63 votes to 5, with 59 abstentions. Ahead of the formation of the new government, long-serving ministers Alex Neil and Richard Lochhead announced their resignations from the cabinet. Sturgeon recommended the appointment of James Wolffe as Lord Advocate and Alison Di Rollo as Solicitor General on 31 May 2016. Their recommendation was confirmed by the Scottish Parliament on the same day.
List of ministers
|Lord Advocate||James Wolffe QC||2016–|
|Solicitor General for Scotland||Alison Di Rollo QC||2016–|
- "Nicola Sturgeon wins Scottish first minister vote". BBC News. BBC. 17 May 2016. Retrieved 17 May 2016.
- "Scottish cabinet reshuffle: John Swinney becomes education secretary". BBC News. BBC. 18 May 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Alex Neil and Richard Lochhead step down from Holyrood cabinet". BBC News. BBC. 18 May 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Law Officer appointments". news.scotland.gov.uk. Scottish Government. 31 May 2016. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- Carrell, Severin (26 June 2018). "Nicola Sturgeon carries out major reshuffle of Scottish cabinet". The Guardian.
- "New Scottish Cabinet unveiled". news.scotland.gov.uk. Scottish Government. 18 May 2016. Archived from the original on 19 May 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Ministers & Law Officers". parliament.scot. Scottish Parliament. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- "First Minister completes ministerial team". news.scotland.gov.uk. Scottish Government. 18 May 2016. Archived from the original on 19 May 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2016.