Sebastiaan Verschuren (born 7 October 1988) is a Dutch former competitive swimmer who specialized in short- and middle-distance freestyle events. At the 2016 European Aquatics Championships he won the gold medal in the 200 meter freestyle. He participated in the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, finishing 5th in the 100 meter freestyle in 2012.
|Full name||Sebastiaan Verschuren|
|Born||7 October 1988|
|Height||1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||84 kg (185 lb)|
|Club||Nationaal Zweminstituut Amsterdam|
After competing in the European Junior Swimming Championships in 2005 and 2006 Verschuren made his international senior debut at the 2006 European Aquatics Championships in Budapest, Hungary with a 19th position in the 1500 m freestyle.
Two years later he participated in the 2008 European Aquatics Championships in Eindhoven in his home country, where he reached 13th place in the 200 m freestyle. In the 4 × 200 m freestyle, he finished 9th in the heats, just missing out on the final and qualification for the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Verschuren qualified for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in the 100 and 200 meter freestyle, and the 4 × 200 meter freestyle relay. In the 200 meter freestyle, he finished 11th in the semifinals.
- "European Champion Sebastiaan Verschuren Announces Retirement". Swimswam. 20 December 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2017.
- "Sebastiaan Verschuren Bio, Stats, and Results". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- Race, Loretta (July 12, 2016). "Kromowidjojo, Dekker, Verschuren Among 17-Strong Dutch Olympic Roster". Swimswam. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Men's 200m Freestyle". www.Rio2016.com. 8 August 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 2017-09-20.
- Sebastiaan Verschuren. Zwemkroniek Online. Retrieved on 2008-09-07.
- Sebastiaan Verschuren www.swimrankings.net
- (in Dutch) Official Website