The Seattle Dragons are a professional American football team based in Seattle, Washington. The team is a franchise of the new XFL founded by Vince McMahon of World Wrestling Entertainment. The team will play its home games at CenturyLink Field in Seattle. The open-air football stadium has a capacity of over 69,000 and a roof covering 70 percent of the seating area. The stadium was uniquely constructed for sound and has twice held the Guinness World Record for loudest crowd at an outdoor stadium.
|Team history||Seattle Dragons|
|Based in||Seattle, Washington|
|Colors||Navy, green, orange|
|Head coach||Jim Zorn|
|General manager||Jim Zorn|
Seattle joins New York, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Washington, D.C. as the league's inaugural cities. Teams will have 40-man active rosters and play a 10-week season. Vince McMahon said "the game will feature simplified rules for a faster pace of game that should complete in under three hours", and will draw from former college and NFL players.
Pete Carroll, the coach of the NFL's Seattle Seahawks was also "fired up" about the major announcement of the brand-new pro sports franchise on its way to Seattle. The Seattle Dragons will start play at CenturyLink Field on February 8 or 9, 2020, one week after Super Bowl LIV.
Former Seahawks quarterback Jim Zorn was named the team's first head coach on February 25, 2019. On June 22, 2019, the XFL Summer Showcase was held in Seattle's Memorial Stadium, which hosted about 100 players trying out for the new expansion team.
On June 27, the USPTO revealed that XFL parent company Alpha Entertainment had filed for trademarks on the names Seattle Dragons, Seattle Wild, Seattle Fury, Seattle Surge and Seattle Force. Seattle Dragons was the name ultimately revealed on August 21. Gustafson commented on the naming of the team by saying, "We wanted something that was unique but also part of the entire brand that represents the community of Seattle, with the imagery of the water, the city, the weather and just the fierceness of the character. That is something we felt was very representative of Seattle and something we are very excited about. That was the name we felt was best going to represent the city." Former Seahawks quarterback and Dragons coach Jim Zorn said, "it's awesome" and that he is "really excited about the colors as well because we can do a lot with that."
The Dragons schedule was announced and season ticket deposit holders will be given seating in September 2019, and the team will attend the first XFL draft in October 2019. In November 2019, the team will begin training camp. Uniforms will be unveiled by Thanksgiving 2019 . The Dragons will start play on February 8 or 9, 2020.
Seattle Dragons staff
Seattle Dragons roster
- "Seattle Dragons' uniforms, helmet". XFL.com (Press release). December 3, 2019. Retrieved December 12, 2019.
- Vorel, Mike (25 March 2019). "Seattle XFL team hires Bellevue product, former Sounders exec Ryan Gustafson as its president". The Seattle Times.
- "60 Record-Breaking Moments: When Seattle Seahawks fans created an earthquake". Guinness World Records. 20 August 2015.
- Staff, KOMO (5 December 2018). "Seattle chosen as one of 8 inaugural teams for new XFL football league". KOMO.
- Columnist, Larry Stone / (6 December 2018). "Pete Carroll fired up about XFL coming to Seattle, but will anyone else be?". The Seattle Times.
- "Pete Carroll thinks Seattle should embrace XFL team that will share the Seahawks' stadium". CBSSports.com.
- Ratchuk, Stephan (June 27, 2019). XFL FILES MULTIPLE TRADEMARKS FOR XFL SEATTLE. XFL2K.com. Retrieved June 27, 2019.