Seasons in the Sun
"Seasons in the Sun" is an English-language adaptation of the song "Le Moribond" by Belgian singer-songwriter Jacques Brel with lyrics rewritten by American singer-poet Rod McKuen. It became a worldwide hit in 1974 for Canadian singer Terry Jacks and became a Christmas number one in the UK in 1999 for Westlife. Jacks's version is one of the fewer than forty all-time singles to have sold 10 million copies worldwide.
|Song by Jacques Brel|
|from the album Marieke|
|Recorded||February 22, 1961|
Terry Jacks recording
|"Seasons in the Sun"|
|Single by Terry Jacks|
|from the album Seasons in the Sun|
|B-side||"Put the Bone In"|
|Songwriter(s)||Jacques Brel, Rod McKuen|
|Terry Jacks singles chronology|
|"Seasons in the Sun" on YouTube|
Terry Jacks recorded "Seasons in the Sun" in Vancouver in 1973 with his then-wife Susan Jacks. They made the decision to record the song when The Beach Boys, who had recorded a version with Terry Jacks producing, decided to abandon their recording.
Jacks released his version as a single in 1973 on his own label, Goldfish Records. "Put the Bone In", an original composition about burying a deceased pet dog, was included as the B-side. The single soon topped the record charts in the U.S. (where it was released on Bell Records), in Canada, and the UK, selling over 14 million copies worldwide.
Jacks's version was released in the United States in December 1973, and made the Billboard Hot 100 a month later. On March 2, 1974, the song began a three-week run at number one atop the Hot 100, and remained in the top 40 until almost Memorial Day weekend. Jacks's version also spent one week on the Easy Listening charts. Billboard ranked it as the number two song for 1974. Although he released several other singles that were moderately successful in Canada, "Seasons in the Sun" would become Jacks's only major solo hit in the United States. In Canada, the single (Gold Fish GF 100) reached number one on the RPM Magazine charts January 26, 1974, and remained there four weeks.
Though the song enjoyed contemporary success, modern criticism has tended to be more critical of Jacks's rewriting of the original song, considering it overly sentimentalized. Jacks's version is commonly held up as an example of bad music, having been called one of the worst pop songs ever recorded, and ranking number five in a CNN poll in 2006.
Bobby Wright version
- "30 years since the death of Jacques Brel: his life, his art, his legacy - World Socialist Web Site". Wsws.org. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "My first experience with Brel (...in 1964...) consisted of doing an unauthorized adaptation of 'Le Moribund'(...written by Brel for the singer Jean Sablon...), which I called 'Seasons in the Sun'...I subsequently learned that Brel had received my recording...," liner notes from Rod McKuen Sings Rod McKuen, Jacques Brel Songbook, April 2000, posted at Rod McKuen - Flight Plan. 'Rod's gift to his many fans', maintained by Stanyan Music Group, of Hollywood CA. Accessed: 12 September 2009.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 299. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 123.
- "Number One Song of the Year: 1946-2015". bobborst.com. Archived from the original on April 20, 2018. Retrieved August 22, 2016.
- Whitburn, Joel, "Top Pop Hits: 1955-2006, 2007.
- Todd Leopold. "The worst song of all time, part II - Apr 26, 2006". CNN.com. Retrieved 2014-02-01.
- "In den Gärten der Zeit" at 45cat.com
- "Australian Chart Book". Austchartbook.com.au. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Austriancharts.at – Terry Jacks – Seasons in the Sun" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Terry Jacks – Seasons in the Sun" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Song artist 781 - Terry Jacks". Tsort.info. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Musicline.de – Terry Jacks Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Seasons in the Sun". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Terry Jacks – Seasons in the Sun" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Terry Jacks – Seasons in the Sun". VG-lista.
- "Swisscharts.com – Terry Jacks – Seasons in the Sun". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Terry Jacks: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Terry Jacks Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Terry Jacks Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Cash Box Top 100 3/09/74". Tropicalglen.com. 1974-03-09. Archived from the original on 2018-01-15. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - Top 100 End of Year AMR Charts - 1980s (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- Hung, Steffen. "Swiss Year-End Charts 1974 - swisscharts.com". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "Top 100 1974 - UK Music Charts". Uk-charts.top-source.info. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1974/Top 100 Songs of 1974". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Cash Box YE Pop Singles - 1974". Tropicalglen.com. 1974-12-28. Archived from the original on 2016-10-09. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2019-11-04.
- "Country Music: Top Country Songs Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 2019-08-14.