Sean Whelan (journalist)
Sean Whelan is an Irish journalist. He is a former Europe Editor for RTÉ News and Current Affairs. He is currently Economics Correspondent with RTÉ.. He will become RTÉ's London correspondent in the summer of 2019.
Sean Whelan wheel
|Education||University College Dublin,|
National Institute for Higher Education
|RTÉ News and Current Affairs|
Whelan joined RTÉ in 1991 at the same time as Mark Little, Rachael English and Paul Reynolds. He worked in a number of areas, such as the Foreign Desk. He has reported from wars in Bosnia and Kosovo and on the return of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China.
He was based in Brussels from 1999. In 2001 he became Europe Correspondent, and was appointed Europe Editor in 2003. After the resignation of George Lee as Economics Editor to begin a career in politics, Whelan became Economics Correspondent.
- Doyle, Kevin (21 October 2009). "Whelan to fill Lee's shoes in RTÉ rejig". Evening Herald. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- "Sean Whelan announced as new RTÉ News London Correspondent". Irish Independent. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- "Sean Whelan New RTÉ Economics Correspondent". IFTN. 22 October 2009. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- "Covering Brussels – the Europe correspondent's tale" (PDF). Dublin City University. 16 January 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 June 2011. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- "RTÉ Guide: Rachael English Interview". RTÉ Guide. 2009-03-03. Archived from the original on 2010-03-02. Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- "Sean Whelan appointed RTÉ Economics Correspondent". Inside Ireland.ie. October 21, 2009. Retrieved 22 October 2009.
- "RTÉ announce appointments". The Irish Times. 8 August 2001. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
| RTÉ News Europe Editor