Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company
Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited, often referred to simply as Scotts, was a Scottish shipbuilding company based in Greenock on the River Clyde. In its time in Greenock, Scotts built over 1,250 ships.
HMS Dragon and War Angler, March 1918
|Fate||Merged into Scott Lithgow (1967)|
|Subsidiaries||Greenock Dockyard Co.|
John Scott founded the company, beginning shipbuilding at Greenock in 1711. The Scott family took over the Greenock Foundry in 1790, and C. G. Scott started building at Cartsdyke Dockyard in 1850, as Scott & Company.
John Scott (II) and Robert Scott bought the adjacent yard of R Steele & Company in 1883, to create the Cartsburn Dockyard, which was laid out for naval shipbuilding. By 1900, John Swire & Company were major shareholders and Henry Scott was a director of Swire Scotts. In 1900–1901, he specified and oversaw construction of Swire's Taikoo Dockyard in Hong Kong. Swire's was 25 percent owned by the Scott Family.
In 1925, Scotts took over Ross & Marshall's Cartsdyke Mid Yard. In 1934, they exchanged their Cartsdyke East yard for Cartsdyke Mid yard with Greenock Dockyard Ltd. In June 1965, the Company took over Scott's & Sons (Bowling) Ltd, and in December 1965, Scott's merged with the Greenock Dockyard Company and the Cartsburn and Cartsdyke Dockyards were fully integrated in 1966. In 1967, the Company merged with Lithgows to form Scott Lithgow Ltd, operating as Scotts Shipbuilding Co (1969) Ltd. Scott Lithgow Ltd was absorbed into the nationalised British Shipbuilders in 1977.
Cartsdyke Shipyard was closed in 1979 and Cartsburn in 1984. In 1983, the Scott Lithgow company and yards were sold to Trafalgar House. No further shipbuilding was undertaken and the 270-year-old Scott shipbuilding company finally ceased trading in 1993. Between 1988 and 1997, the Cartsburn and Cartsdyke shipyards were gradually demolished and redeveloped as insurance offices, computer warehouses and fast food restaurants.
In 2011, Greenock's McLean Museum and Art Gallery celebrated the tercentenary of Scotts' foundation.
Notable vessels built included the early Royal Mail Steam Packet Company liners Clyde, Dee, Solway and Tweed in 1841, SS Thetis of 1857, which John Scott (1830–1903) financed himself to test his theory about high pressure steam in the compound engine, which worked at about 120 lbf/in2 in Thetis, the early tanker Narragannsett in 1903, the barque Archibald Russell, the British S-class submarines, in 1914, the cruiser HMS Glasgow in 1937, and the drilling ship Ben Ocean Lancer in 1977.
Principal customers of Scotts were Alfred Holt & Co (Blue Funnel Line) (88 ships), The China Navigation Company / John Swire Ltd (95 ships) and the Royal Navy (114 ships). Scotts Assistant Manager James Richardson devised an early "Snorkel" for submarines, for which they were granted British Patent No.106330 of 1917. It was not taken up by the Admiralty for use by the Royal Navy.
There is extant the builder's certificate of SS Thetis. Captain William Kennedy (1816–1876) of Greenock took Thetis for her trials on the Clyde.
In popular culture
Pictures of some Scotts-built vessels were painted by the Greenock marine artist William Clark. (Glasgow Museum of Transport). A painting of the launch in 1818 from Scotts yard of the wood ship Christian was painted by the Anglo-US marine artist Robert Salmon. (Glasgow Museum of Transport).
- "University of Glasgow Archives: Scotts Shipbuilding". Cheshire.cent.gla.ac.uk. 20 May 2011. Archived from the original on 16 January 2016. Retrieved 17 April 2012.
- Dawson, Charles. "Iron S.S. Thetis, A Daring Experiment". Mariner's Mirror. 85 (4): 458–462.
- "Espacenet - page has moved".
- Robb, Johnston Fraser (1993). Scotts, A Scottish Family Firm of Shipbuilders and Engineers. PhD thesis.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company.|