Science Museum Group
- The Science Museum in South Kensington, London
- The Science and Industry Museum in Manchester
- The National Railway Museum in York
- Locomotion in County Durham
- The National Science and Media Museum (formerly the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television) in Bradford, and
- The National Collections Centre Museum in Swindon, Wiltshire.
The chairman of the group is Dame Mary Archer who was appointed by Prime Minister David Cameron for the four-year term from 2015 from 2018. Dame Mary Archer was reappointed as Chairman 2019–2022 in January 2018.
The term "National Museum of Science and Industry" had been in use as the Science Museum's subtitle since the early 1920s. The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum is the corporate body of SMG and was established under the National Heritage Act (1983) for the purpose of general management of the group. Prior to 1 April 2012 the group was known as the National Museum of Science and Industry (NMSI).
The National Railway Museum was established as a result of the transfer of the British Transport Commission’s railway collection to the Board of Trustees of the Science Museum. The National Science and Media Museum, formerly the National Media Museum, was established by the Science Museum in 1983. The Science Museum was run directly by HM Government until 1984, when the Board of Trustees was established and NMSI was then adopted as a corporate title for the entire organisation. At this point NMSI no longer operated as part of a central government department; instead, it now had the status of a non-departmental public body, operating within the public sector but separately from its associated sponsoring government department, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The Science Museum Group operates as a charity; it also has a wholly owned subsidiary trading company, NMSI Trading Limited, which was established in 1988.
The Science Museum Group cares for 7.3 million objects from areas of science, technology, engineering, medicine, transport and media. The collection includes:
Directors of NMSI
The following have been Directors of the National Museum of Science and Industry, the Science Museum and the Science Museum Group:
- Dame Margaret Weston DBE FMA (1973–1986)
- Sir Neil Cossons OBE FSA FMA (1986–2000)
- Dr Lindsay Sharp (2000–2005)
- Prof. Martin Earwicker FREng (2006–2007)
The following have separately been Directors of the NMSI:
- "Science Museum Group – About us" (aspx). Science Museum Group. Retrieved 2017-12-05.
- "Prime Minister appoints Dame Mary Archer as new Chairman of the Science Museum Group". British Government. Retrieved 26 February 2015.
- "Prime Minister Reappoints Chairman to the Board of the Science Museum Group". Science Museum Group. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "SMG Board of Trustees". Science Museum Group. Retrieved 2018-09-14.
- "Science Museum Group Annual Report and Accounts 2011–12" (pdf). Science Museum Group. 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2012-11-10.
- "National Accounts Classification Decisions – May 2012" (xls). Office for National Statistics. May 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-10.
- National Museum of Science and Industry: Annual Report and Accounts 2008–09, NMSI, UK.
- "Manchester's MOSI and London's Science Museum to merge". BBC News. 2 December 2011. Retrieved 2011-12-03.
- "Manchester's Museum of Science and Industry to become part of national Science Museum". Manchester Evening News. 2011-12-02.
- "National Railway Museum Shildon Set to transfer to Science Museum Group". Museums Association. 2017-09-20.
- "Vaizey calls for BIS to help fund Science Museum Group – Museums Association". www.museumsassociation.org. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "SMG Collections". Science Museum Group. Retrieved 2018-09-14.