Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 47°45′N 8°27′E|
|• Mayor||Willi Fischer|
|• Total||21.63 km2 (8.35 sq mi)|
|Elevation||480 m (1,570 ft)|
|• Density||78/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Beggingen, Blumberg (DE-BW), Gächlingen, Hemmental, Oberhallau, Siblingen, Stühlingen (DE-BW)|
Profile (in German), SFSO statistics
It is known as the location where the seven articles of the "Schleitheim Confession" were written.
Schleitheim has an area, as of 2006, of 21.5 km2 (8.3 sq mi). Of this area, 58.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 34.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 6.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.3%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes).
The area of today's Schleitheim was already settled in Roman times. A vicus at that time bore the name Iuliomagus. In In 995 the German name is attested for the first time as Sleitheim. This name stems from Old High German sleit (English: "gently sloping, inclined") and Old High German heim (English: "house, residence"), meaning "settlement on a gentle slope ot on the inclined plain."
Schleitheim has a population (as of 2008) of 1,663, of which 12.0% are foreign nationals. Of the foreign population, (as of 2008), 45.3% are from Germany, 10.3% are from Italy, 2% are from Croatia, 25.6% are from Serbia, 1.5% are from Macedonia, and 15.3% are from another country. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -4.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks German (93.9%), with Albanian being second most common ( 2.5%) and Italian being third ( 1.1%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2008) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 21.5% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 55.6% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 22.9%.
In Schleitheim about 74.9% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). In Schleitheim, as of 2007, 1.66% of the population attend kindergarten or another pre-school, 8.26% attend a Primary School, 4.22% attend a lower level Secondary School, and 6.96% attend a higher level Secondary School.
Schleitheim has an unemployment rate, as of 2007, of 0.88%. As of 2005, there were 117 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 46 businesses involved in this sector. 221 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 20 businesses in this sector. 373 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 65 businesses in this sector.
As of 2008 the mid year average unemployment rate was 1.1%. There were 85 non-agrarian businesses in the municipality and 44.1% of the (non-agrarian) population was involved in the secondary sector of the economy while 55.9% were involved in the third. At the same time, 69.5% of the working population was employed full-time, and 30.5% was employed part-time. There were 630 residents of the municipality who were employed in some capacity, of which females made up 38.3% of the workforce. As of 2000 there were 395 residents who worked in the municipality, while 394 residents worked outside Schleitheim and 188 people commuted into the municipality for work.
Heritage sites of national significance
Schleitheim has an average of 121.6 days of rain or snow per year and on average receives 878 mm (34.6 in) of precipitation. The wettest month is August during which time Schleitheim receives an average of 95 mm (3.7 in) of rain or snow. During this month there is precipitation for an average of 11 days. The month with the most days of precipitation is June, with an average of 11.6, but with only 93 mm (3.7 in) of precipitation. The driest month of the year is September with an average of 57 mm (2.2 in) of precipitation over 11 days.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 22-December-2009
- Schweizerisches Idiotikon, volume IX, column 766, article schleit (Digitalisat).
- Geschichte at grafenhausen.de.
- Flags of the World.com accessed 22-December-2009
- Statistical Office of the Canton of Schaffhausen (in German) accessed 2 December 2009
- "Evolution de la population des communes 1850-2000". Office fédéral de la statistique.
- Swiss inventory of cultural property of national and regional significance Archived 2009-05-01 at the Wayback Machine 21.11.2008 version, (in German) accessed 22-Dec-2009
- "Temperature and Precipitation Average Values-Table, 1961-1990" (in German, French, and Italian). Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology - MeteoSwiss. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 8 May 2009., the weather station elevation is 499 meters above sea level.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Schleitheim.|