Saturday Island (also known as Island of Desire) is a 1952 British romantic war film directed by Stuart Heisler, and starring Linda Darnell, Tab Hunter, Donald Gray, John Laurie, Lloyd Lamble, and Peter Butterworth.
|Directed by||Stuart Heisler|
|Written by||Stuart Heisler (story)|
Stephanie Nordli (screenplay)
|Based on||novel by Hugh Brooke|
|Distributed by||Warner Brs|
|Box office||$1.5 million (North America)|
When a hospital ship strikes a mine during the Second World War, the only survivors are Lieutenant Elizabeth Smythe and Corporal Michael Dugan, who become marooned on an island in the South Pacific, where they slowly bond. Their relationship is complicated by the arrival of a third person, a survivor of a plane crash.
- Linda Darnell as Lieutenant Elizabeth Smythe
- Tab Hunter as Marine Corporal Michael J. "Chicken" Dugan
- Donald Gray as William Peck
- John Laurie as Grimshaw
- Sheila Chong as Tukua
- Russell Waters as Dr. Snyder
- Hilda Fenemore as Ollie
- Brenda Hogan as Jane
- Diana Decker as Mike
- Peggy Hassard as Maggie
- Michael Newell as Eddie
- Lloyd Lamble as Officer of the Watch
- Peter Butterworth as Wounded Marine
- Harold Ayer as Marine Sergeant
- MacDonald Parke as Ship's Captain
Film rights came into the hands of David E. Rose who set up the project in England under Warner Bros. Stuart Heisler signed to direct and Linda Darnell agreed to star, her first British film. Don Taylor was originally set to be Darnell's co star. Donald Gray signed to play the second male lead.
Filming started in Jamaica on 1 July 1951. The second male lead eventually went to Tab Hunter. Hunter was recommended by Paul Guilfoyle a character actor who heard Heisler was looking for an unknown. Hunter went to see Heisler who asked the actor to take off his shirt. He tested on Saturday and by Monday was getting his passport to travel to Jamaica.
- "Top Box-Office Hits of 1952", Variety, 7 January 1953
- Happy Castaways: SATURDAY ISLAND. By Hugh Brooke. New York Times, 11 Aug 1935: BR6.
- OBSERVATION ON THE LONDON SCREEN SCENE By STEPHEN WATTS. New York Times 01 Apr 1951: 101
- To Film 'Saturday Island' The Christian Science Monitor 23 June 1951: 11.
- Drama: O'Keefe Writes White House Thriller; Chaplin Import Will Be Tested Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 21 Apr 1951: 11.
- Drama: Mildred Dunnock Deals Multiply; Irish Clan Gathers for Ford Film Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 04 June 1951: B9.
- POWER'S ROLE GOES TO CONTRACT ACTOR: Dale Robertson Will Play Lead in Fox Film Adaptation of Roberts' 'Lydia Bailey' By THOMAS F. BRADY Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES 04 June 1951: 29.
- A Critic's Remark and Hard Work Put Tab Hunter on Top: Critic and Work Spur Tab Hunter Hopper, Hedda. Los Angeles Times 13 Feb 1955: D1.