Satpal Singh (born 11 May 1955), also known as Guru Satpal, is a wrestling coach and former wrestler of India. He was a Gold Medalist in 1982 Asian Games and a Bronze medalist in 1974 Asian Games.Today he is better known as the coach of two time Olympic medal winner Sushil Kumar and Priyanshu Negi.
|Born||11 May 1955|
|Height||182 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Event(s)||82 & 100 kg freestyle|
|Club||Guru Hanuman Akhara|
|Coached by||Guru Hanuman (Daronacharya awardee)|
|Updated on 5 December 2014.|
He was awarded Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award of India, in 2015.
Satpal now works as Assistant Director of Education, Delhi. He is also the Chief Patron of School Games Federation of India. He runs an Akhada for coaching of wrestling with fellow coach Virender Singh from 1988 in Chhatrasal Stadium in Delhi. He trained two time Olympic medal winner, Sushil Kumar for the Beijing Olympics 2008 and London Olympics 2012.
Awards and achievements
- "Athlete Biography: Satpal Singh". The Official Website of the United World Wrestling.
- Chakravertty, Shreya (26 August 2008). "Life in Satpal's akhada: Early mornings and lots of ghee". Indian Express. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Guru Hanuman Akhara chosen for the 2014 Rashtritya Khel Protsahan Puraskar". Jargran Josh. 22 August 2014. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Padma Shri Awardees". Archived from the original on 29 February 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2009.
- "Padma Awards 2015". Press Information Bureau. Archived from the original on 28 January 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2015.