Professor Sartaj Kumar Sahni (born July 22, 1949, in Pune, India) is a computer scientist based in the United States, and is one of the pioneers in the field of data structures. He is a distinguished professor in the Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering at the University of Florida.
Prof. Sartaj Sahni in 2015.
|Born||July 22, 1949|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology, Cornell University|
|Known for||Data structures, Algorithms|
|Awards||IEEE Computer Society Taylor L. Booth Education Award, 1997 |
IEEE Computer Society W. Wallace McDowell Award, 2003
ACM Karl Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award, 2003
|Institutions||University of Florida|
|Doctoral advisor||Ellis Horowitz|
|Doctoral students||Teofilo F. Gonzalez|
Sahni received his BTech degree in electrical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur. Following this, he undertook his graduate studies at Cornell University in the USA, earning a PhD degree in 1973, under the supervision of Ellis Horowitz.
Research and publications
Sahni has published over 280 research papers and written 15 textbooks. His research publications are on the design and analysis of efficient algorithms, data structures, parallel computing, interconnection networks, design automation, and medical algorithms.
With his advisor Ellis Horowitz, Sahni wrote two widely used textbooks, Fundamentals of Computer Algorithms and Fundamentals of Data Structures. He has also written highly cited research papers on the NP-completeness of approximately solving certain optimization problems, on open shop scheduling, on parallel algorithms for matrix multiplication and their application in graph theory, and on improved exponential time exact algorithms for the subset sum problem, among his many other research results.
Awards and honors
In 1997, Sahni was awarded the IEEE Computer Society's Taylor L. Booth Education Award and in 2003 he was awarded the IEEE Computer Society McDowell Award. Sahni was also awarded the 2003 Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award of the Association for Computing Machinery.
Prof. Sahni is a member of the European Academy of Sciences. He was elected as a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers in 1988, and of the Association for Computing Machinery in 1996; he is also a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, elected in 1995. He is a Distinguished Alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
Sahni was given the Honorary Professor Award of Asia University (Taiwan) in 2009.
- Faculty profile, CISE, U. of Florida, accessed 2011-10-10.
- Distinguished Alumnus Awards-2000, IIT Kanpur, accessed 2011-10-10.
- Sartaj Kumar Sahni at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
- Sartaj Sahni at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Sahni, Sartaj; Gonzalez, Teofilo (1976), "P-complete approximation problems" (PDF), Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, 23 (3): 555–565, doi:10.1145/321958.321975, MR 0408313.
- Gonzalez, Teofilo; Sahni, Sartaj (1976), "Open shop scheduling to minimize finish time", Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, 23 (4): 665–679, CiteSeerX 10.1.1.394.1507, doi:10.1145/321978.321985, MR 0429089.
- Dekel, Eliezer; Nassimi, David; Sahni, Sartaj (1981), "Parallel matrix and graph algorithms", SIAM Journal on Computing, 10 (4): 657–675, doi:10.1137/0210049, MR 0635424.
- Horowitz, Ellis; Sahni, Sartaj (1969), "Computing partitions with applications to the knapsack problem", Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery, 21 (2): 277–292, doi:10.1145/321812.321823, MR 0354006.
- Past recipients for Taylor L. Booth Education Award, IEEE Computer Society, accessed 2011-10-10.
- Past recipients for W. Wallace McDowell Award, IEEE Computer Society, accessed 2011-10-10.
- Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine, ACM, accessed 2011-10-10.
- List of the members of the European Academy of Sciences, accessed 2011-10-10.
- Alphabetical Listing of Fellows Archived 2011-08-20 at the Wayback Machine, IEEE, accessed 2011-10-10.
- ACM Fellows listing, accessed 2011-10-10.
- AAAS Fellows, accessed 2011-10-10.
- Distinguished Professor and Chair Sartaj Sahni receives the Honorary Professor Award from Asia University, Taiwan, University of Florida, CISE, June 9, 2009. Sahni Accessed 2011-10-10.