San Miguel Department (El Salvador)
Location within El Salvador
|Coordinates: 13°31′19″N 88°14′02″W|
(given current status)
|• Total||2,077.1 km2 (802.0 sq mi)|
|Area rank||Ranked 2nd|
|• Rank||Ranked 3rd|
|• Density||330/km2 (850/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (CST)|
|ISO 3166 code||SV-SM|
Before the Spanish conquest of El Salvador, the territory that now consists of the departments of San Miguel, La Unión and Morazán was the Lenca kingdom of Chaparrastique (Place of Beautiful Orchids).
San Miguel was first known as San Miguel de la Frontera. The city was founded by Luis de Moscoso on May 8, 1530, where it is now Santa Elena. On July 11, 1812 the city was given the title of "Noble y Leal Ciudad" (noble and loyal city). It was made a department on June 12, 1824.
The products that are more cultivated are the basic grains, henequen and sugar cane, fruits, oleaginous seeds, mangrove, and grass. The upbringing of bovine, swinish, goat, and mule livestock exists and the upbringing of corral birds and of bees. Among the most important manufacturing, there is the elaboration of nutritious products, threads, yarns, drinks, cotton fabrics, clothes, leather articles, detergents, soaps, milk, and construction material.
There are a few beaches in the San Miguel department, for inel cuco uco.