San Martino, Venice
Shown within Venice
San Martino, Venice (Italy)
|Geographic coordinates||45.4346°N 12.349°E|
The facade (1897) was designed by Federico Berchet and Domenico Rupolo. The vault is frescoed with Saint Martin in Glory by Jacopo Guarana, with the quadratura painted by Domenico Bruni. The walls portray saints and evangelists by Matteo Zais. A funeral monument (1633) to Doge Francesco Erizzo was completed by Matteo Carneri. A chapel has a fresco cycle of the Glory of the Eucharist flanked by Sacrifice of Isaac and Sacrifice of Mechizedek on the walls by Fabio Canal. The 15th-century altar by Tullio Lombardo was brought here from the church of Santo Sepolcro. The sacristy is frescoed with a Last Supper (1549) and Resurrection by Girolamo da Santacroce. The church has a Risen Christ altarpiece by Santacroce. The sacristy ceiling is frescoed by Antonio Zanchi and Domenico Bruni.
The organ was constructed by Pietro Nachini and restored by Gaetano Callido. The first altar on the right has a St Cecilia and St Lorenzo Giustiniani by Giovanni Segala.
The church contains the funereal monument of Doge Francesco Erizzo designed by Mattia Carnero in 1633. The next altar towards the presbytery contains the canvas of Holy Family with St Mark and Bishop Foca by Giovanni Laudis. The third altar has a Madonna in Sorrow by Palma il Giovane, next to Three angels with symbols of the passion and a Deposition by the same painter.
- Manno, Antonio (2004). The Treasures of Venice. Rizzoli. p. 234.