Sam Murray (footballer)
Sam Murray (born 2 September 1997) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Collingwood Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was drafted by the Sydney Swans with their final selection and sixty-sixth overall in the 2015 rookie draft.
Murray playing for the Sydney Swans reserves in April 2017.
|Date of birth||2 September 1997|
|Original team(s)||Wodonga (O&MFL)|
|Draft||No. 66, 2015 rookie draft|
Round 1, 2018, Collingwood|
vs. Hawthorn, at MCG
|Height||187 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||86 kg (190 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of the 2019 season.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
After spending two seasons with Sydney without playing a senior AFL match, he was traded to Collingwood during the 2017 trade period. He made his debut in the thirty-four point loss to Hawthorn at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the opening round of the 2018 season. In round 3, he was nominated for the 2018 AFL Rising Star award.
At the conclusion of the 2018 season, Collingwood delisted Murray, stating they will re-draft him as a rookie if he is available. A month later, Collingwood re-drafted Murray as a rookie with pick 33. On 26 August 2019, it was announced that Murray would be available to play from the 2020 AFL season, following an 18-month backdated suspension.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Mitchell, Chris (27 November 2015). "Swans snare Sam". The Border Mail. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Collingwood pick up Sydney Swans rookie in only trade move". Fox Sports (Australia). News Corp Australia. 19 October 2016. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- Phelan, Jennifer (20 March 2018). "Bucks confirms debut pair in black and white". AFL.com.au. Telstra Media. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- Mason, Luke (9 April 2018). "Man from the Murray a Rising Star". Collingwood.
- "Four Pies sign on, five depart". Collingwood. Telstra Media. 30 October 2018.
- "The draft: All you need to know". Collingwood. Telstra Media. 23 November 2018.
- "Sam Murray free to play next AFL season after 18-month drug ban". The Guardian. 26 August 2019.
- McGowan, Marc (17 September 2019). "Collingwood cuts running defender after drug ban". AFL.com.au. Telstra Media.
- Godde, Brent (17 September 2019). "Sam Murray delisted by Collingwood and on recruiting radar of Wangaratta Rovers". The Border Mail.
- "Sam Murray's player profile". AFL Tables. Retrieved 20 September 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sam Murray (footballer).|
- Sam Murray's profile on the official website of the Collingwood Football Club
- Sam Murray's playing statistics from AFL Tables