The wards of Sakai were established when Sakai became a city designated by government ordinance on April 1, 2006.
The city has its municipal headquarters in Sakai-ku and Sakai City Museum is located in the area.
Train stations located in Sakai-ku
• Central stations: Sakai-Higashi Station, Sakai Station, Sakai-shi Station
- West Japan Railway Company (JR West)
- Nankai Electric Railway
- Hankai Tramway
- Hankai Line: Yamatogawa - Takasu-jinja - Ayanocho - Shimmeicho - Myokokuji-mae - Hanataguchi - Oshoji - Shukuin - Terajicho - Goryomae - Higashi-Minato
- トップページ 堺市堺区役所 (Ward office official home page) (Retrieved on February 27, 2010)
- Ward office official webpage (in Japanese)