The marina and town centre
Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 49°51′40″N 0°42′36″E|
|Intercommunality||CC Côte d'Albâtre|
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Dominique Chauvel|
|10.47 km2 (4.04 sq mi)|
|• Density||410/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||0–80 m (0–262 ft) |
(avg. 5 m or 16 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
A small fishing port and light industrial town situated in the Pays de Caux, some 20 miles (32 km) west of Dieppe at the junction of the D53, D20, D79 and the D925 roads. Here, huge chalk cliffs rise up from the pebble beach (sandy at low tide) to overlook the English Channel. The SNCF station closed in the 1990s and the only public transport available is an infrequent bus service.
It is said to have been founded by Saint Valery in the 7th century. A monastery was built on the site of the present-day town and was known as ‘’’Sanctum Walaricum’’’ in 990 CE, according to the charter in which Richard I, Duke of Normandy, gave the town (part of his personal property) to the abbey of Fecamp.
A busy fishing port from the 13th to the 17th century, its decline was due to the growth of the much larger port of Fecamp, to the west.
It is perhaps best known as the place where the British 51st (Highland) Infantry Division commanded by Major-General Victor Fortune and French troops surrendered to Major-General Erwin Rommel on June 12, 1940, with the town partly destroyed in the fighting. Saint-Valéry-en-Caux was liberated on 11 September 1944 by a re-formed 51st Highland division, among scenes of great local jubilation. On 17 January 1945, the railway station was destroyed when a runaway train full of American troops crashed into it. Eighty-nine American soldiers were killed and 152 were injured.
The town has a casino, waterpark and has achieved the highest rating of four flowers in the annual France in Bloom competition. Tourism now accounts for much of the town's prosperity.
|The arms of Saint-Valery-en-Caux are blazoned :|
Azure, 2 dolphins addorsed argent.
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places of interest
- "Populations légales 2016". INSEE. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Armées.com - Ossian Seipel's Memoirs ch 7
- Trevor Royale. Queen's Own Highlanders: A Concise History. pp. 163, 187. Mainstream Publishing Ltd. Edinburgh. 2007. ISBN 9781845960926.
- Russell C. Eustice Recalls the Troop Train 2980 Tragedy at St. Valery-en-Caux During World War II
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint-Valery-en-Caux.|
- Official website of Saint-Valéry-en-Caux (in French) (in English)
- Unofficial Website of the commune (in French)
- The City of Inverness - twinning with St Valéry
- Website of Aeroclub Cauchois (LFOS) Discover Normandy from the air (in French)
- The CWGC cemetery
- Saint-Valery-en-Caux on the Quid website (in French)
- History of the shipowner's house 'Henry IV house' including surprising links with Cannibals and South America!