Saint-Prosper-de-Champlain is a municipality of 516 people in the Les Chenaux Regional County Municipality, in Quebec, Canada. It is the smallest municipality in terms of population in the regional county.
- For Saint-Prosper in Chaudière-Appalaches, see Saint-Prosper, Chaudière-Appalaches, Quebec.
Location within Les Chenaux RCM.
Location in central Quebec.
|Coordinates: 46°37′N 72°17′W|
|Constituted||July 1, 1855|
|• Mayor||Michel Grosleau|
|• Federal riding||Saint-Maurice—Champlain|
|• Prov. riding||Champlain|
|• Total||93.00 km2 (35.91 sq mi)|
|• Land||93.68 km2 (36.17 sq mi)|
|There is an apparent|
contradiction between two
|• Density||5.4/km2 (14/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
The area opened up for colonization in the middle of the 19th century, and in 1850 the Parish of Saint-Prosper was established out of the territories of Sainte-Geneviève-de-Batiscan and Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pérade. It was named after Prosper of Aquitaine possibly by Bishop Joseph Signay who wanted to emphasize the "prosperity" of the first settlers, who were poor but brave. In 1853, its post office opened, and two years later, the Parish Municipality of Saint-Prosper was formed, with Augustin Massicotte as first mayor.
On December 31, 2001, it was transferred from the Francheville Regional County to the new Les Chenaux Regional County, following the creation of the new City of Trois-Rivières and the dissolution of the Francheville RCM.
- Population in 2011: 505 (2006 to 2011 population change: -6.7%)
- Population in 2006: 541
- Population in 2001: 531
- Population in 1996: 548
- Population in 1991: 584
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 237 (total dwellings: 268)
- English as first language: 0%
- French as first language: 100%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 0%
- Reference number 409102 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Geographic code 37250 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Saint-Prosper census profile
- "Saint-Prosper (Municipalité de paroisse)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- Gérard Ébacher. "Historique de Saint-Prosper" (in French). Municipalité de paroisse de Saint-Prosper. Archived from the original on 2009-05-01. Retrieved 2010-02-18.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census