Saint-Lin–Laurentides is a small city located in the Montcalm Regional County Municipality of Quebec, Canada. Its official name uses an en dash; however, the city's own website uses the two-hyphen version of its name: Saint-Lin-Laurentides. In the Canada 2011 Census its population was 17,463.
Location within Montcalm RCM.
Location in central Quebec.
|Coordinates: 45°51′N 73°46′W|
|Constituted||March 1, 2000|
|• Mayor||Patrick Massé|
|• Federal riding||Montcalm|
|• Prov. riding||Rousseau|
|• Total||118.80 km2 (45.87 sq mi)|
|• Land||118.52 km2 (45.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||147.3/km2 (382/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Saint-Lin was first settled in 1807 when pioneers from Saint-Pierre-du-Portage (now L'Assomption) arrived. In 1828, the Saint-Lin-de-Lachenaie Parish was founded. In 1845, the Parish Municipality of Saint-Lin was established, but was abolished 2 years later in 1847 when it was absorbed into the county municipality. That same year, its post office opened. In 1855, the municipality was reestablished as Saint-Lin-de-Lachenaye, with Carolus Laurier, father of Sir Wilfrid Laurier, as first mayor.
Laurentides was originally the Village Municipality of Saint-Lin, which became an incorporate entity in 1856. In 1883, it changed name and statutes and became the Town of Laurentides. Also that year, the local post office opened.
- Population in 2011: 17,463 (2006 to 2011 population change: 23.3%)
- Population in 2006: 14,159 (2001 to 2006 population change: 14.4%)
- Population in 2001: 12,379
- Population in 1996:
- Laurentides: 2703
- Saint-Lin: 9336
- Population in 1991:
- Laurentides: 2336
- Saint-Lin: 7029
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 6618 (total dwellings: 6972)
- English as first language: 1.5%
- French as first language: 96.9%
- English and French as first language: 0.5%
- Other as first language: 1.25%
The Commission scolaire des Samares operates francophone public schools
- École de l'Aubier
- École des Trois-Temps
- École de l'Ami-Soleil
Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board operates English-language public schools. Schools serving the town:
- Reference number 360840 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- Geographic code 63048 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (in French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Saint-Lin-Laurentides census profile
- Official Transport Quebec Road Map
- "Saint-Lin–Laurentides (Ville)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- "Laurentides (Ville)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- "de l'Aubier." Commission scolaire des Samares. Retrieved on September 23, 2017.
- "des Trois-Temps (pavillon de l'Arc-en-Ciel)." Commission scolaire des Samares. Retrieved on September 23, 2017.
- "des Trois-Temps (pavillon de l'Oiseau-Bleu)." Commission scolaire des Samares. Retrieved on September 23, 2017.
- "des Trois-Temps (pavillon Sir-Wilfrid-Laurier)." Commission scolaire des Samares. Retrieved on September 23, 2017.
- "du Carrefour-des-Lacs." Commission scolaire des Samares. Retrieved on September 23, 2017.
- "JOLIETTE ELEMENTARY ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 17, 2017.
- "LAURENTIA ELEMENTARY ZONE." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 4, 2017.
- "Joliette High School Zone Sec 1-5." Sir Wilfrid Laurier School Board. Retrieved on September 5, 2017.
Media related to Saint-Lin–Laurentides at Wikimedia Commons
- (in French) Ville de Saint-Lin-Laurentides