SS William E. Dodd
|Name:||William E. Dodd|
|Namesake:||William E. Dodd|
|Owner:||War Shipping Administration (WSA)|
|Operator:||Marine Transport Lines Inc.|
|Ordered:||as type (EC2-S-C1) hull, MC hull 2308|
|Builder:||J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida|
|Laid down:||19 May 1944|
|Launched:||22 June 1944|
|Sponsored by:||Miss Frances Spain|
|Completed:||15 July 1944|
|Fate:||Laid up in National Defense Reserve Fleet, Mobile, Alabama, 12 September 1945|
|Status:||Sold for commercial use, 25 July 1947|
|Operator:||Yngvar Hvistendahl, Tonsberg, Norway|
|Acquired:||25 July 1947|
|Owner:||Seabird Steamship Co.|
|Operator:||C. M. Los, Ltd., London|
|Class and type:||
|Beam:||57 feet (17 m)|
|Draft:||27 ft 9.25 in (8.4646 m)|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h; 13.2 mph)|
William E. Dodd was laid down on 19 May 1944, under a Maritime Commission (MARCOM) contract, MC hull 2308, by J.A. Jones Construction, Panama City, Florida; she was sponsored by Miss Frances Spain, and launched on 22 June 1944.
She was allocated to Marine Transport Lines, Inc., on 15 July 1944. On 15 May 1945, she damaged the No. 5 bearing of her main engine. Sea trials were conducted on 27 May 1945, after repairing the bearing but they were unsuccessful so now the entire crankshaft was replace. Sea trials were again conducted on 22 June 1945, but were again unsuccessful, this time the No. 6 bearing went out and needed repairing. She was able to return to the US on 24 July 1945. On 12 September 1945, she was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, in the James River Group, Lee Hall, Virginia. On 25 July 1947, she was sold to Norway, for commercial use. She was renamed Milbank and sailed under a Norwegian flag until 1958, when she was sold to Seabird Steamship Co., and reflagged for Liberia, and renamed Thanksgiving. She was scrapped in Hirao, in 1967.
- "Jones Construction, Panama City FL". www.ShipbuildingHistory.com. 13 October 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Liberty Ships – World War II". Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Maritime Administration. "William E. Dodd". Ship History Database Vessel Status Card. U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Davies, James (May 2004). "Specifications (As-Built)" (PDF). p. 23. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "SS William E. Dodd". Retrieved 22 December 2017.