SS Marietta E
SS Marietta E was a British cargo ship completed by William Hamilton & Co in Port Glasgow on the Firth of Clyde in June 1940. She had a single 520 NHP triple-expansion steam engine built by David Rowan and Company of Glasgow, that drove a single screw. She had eight corrugated furnaces heating two 225 lbf/in2 single-ended boilers with a combined heating surface of 7,643 square feet (710 m2), plus one auxiliary boiler.
|Name:||SS Marietta E|
|Owner:||Leith Hill Shipping Co Ltd|
|Operator:||Counties Ship Management Co Ltd, London|
|Builder:||William Hamilton & Co, Port Glasgow|
|Out of service:||4 March 1943|
|Identification:||UK official number 167596|
|Fate:||Sunk by torpedo|
|Length:||421.1 ft (128.4 m) p/p|
|Beam:||60.4 ft (18.4 m)|
|Draught:||28 ft 2 1⁄2 in (8.60 m)|
|Depth:||35.8 ft (10.9 m)|
|Installed power:||520 NHP|
|Propulsion:||triple-expansion steam engine; single screw|
|Notes:||sister ships: SS Kingston Hill, SS Lulworth Hill, SS Michael E, SS Primrose Hill|
She was owned by Leith Hill Shipping Co Ltd and managed by Counties Ship Management Co Ltd of London (CSM), both of which were offshoots of the Rethymnis & Kulukundis shipbroking company. She was named after Marietta Eustathiou, a member of Nicholas Eustathiou shipping concerns that had a major shareholding in her.
Early in 1943 she sailed from New York, bound for Alexandria in Egypt via Durban and Aden. She was laden with a cargo of government and commercial stores and deck cargo of eight LCPL landing craft. In Durban she joined convoy DN-21 to Alexandria via Aden. At 0346 hrs on 4 March in the Indian Ocean east of East London, German submarine U-160 fired two torpedoes at the convoy, one of which sank the Marietta E killing four crew and one DEMS gunner. South African Navy rescue launch R8 rescued the Master, 33 crew and six DEMS gunners and landed them at Durban.