SS Lydia (1890)
SS Lydia was a passenger vessel built for the London and South Western Railway in 1890.
|Port of registry:||
|Builder:||J and G Thomson, Clydebank|
|Launched:||16 July 1890|
|Out of service:||1933|
|Tonnage:||1,059 gross register tons (GRT)|
|Length:||253 feet (77 m)|
|Beam:||35.1 feet (10.7 m)|
|Draught:||14.8 feet (4.5 m)|
The ship was built by J and G Thomson of Clydebank and launched on 16 July 1890 for the fast mail and passenger service between Southampton and the Channel Islands. She made her trial trip on the River Clyde on 12 September 1890 when she attained the speed of 19.5 knots. She was built with accommodation for 170 first class passengers, 70 second class and numerous steerage passengers. She was one of an order of three ships, the others being Frederica and Stella.
She was sold in 1920 and by 1922 was owned by Coast Lines to operate between Dublin and Preston. In 1923 she was sold to Navigation a Vapeur Ionienne and renamed Ierax. In 1929 she transferred to Hellenic Coast Lines of Piraeus and was scrapped in 1933.
- Duckworth, Christian Leslie Dyce; Langmuir, Graham Easton (1968). Railway and other Steamers. Prescot, Lancashire: T. Stephenson and Sons.
- "A New Channel Steamer". Morning Post. England. 13 September 1890. Retrieved 14 November 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- "A Channel Incident". Edinburgh Evening News. England. 9 March 1915. Retrieved 14 November 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive.