SS Lindus (1881)
SS Lindus was an Australian iron-hulled coastal cargo ship driven by a 160 H.P. 2-cylinder compound steam engine with a top cruising speed of 10 knots. She was built in 1881 by Edward Withy & Co., Hartlepool, England. Her engines were built by T. Richardson & Sons, Hartlepool. She had a complement of 24 crewmembers.
|Port of registry:||Melbourne|
|Builder:||Edward Withy & Co., West Hartlepool, UK|
|Status:||Wrecked, 4 June 1899|
|Type:||Iron screw steamer|
|Length:||78.45 m (257 ft 5 in)|
|Beam:||10.54 m (34 ft 7 in)|
|Draught:||5.425 m (17 ft 9.6 in)|
|Installed power:||Compound engine|
On 4 June 1899, traveling from Newcastle, New South Wales on her way to Adelaide while carrying a cargo of coal the Lindus was caught up in a heavy storm and was wrecked near Newcastle's Oyster Bank, on the wreck of the Colonist at position 32.914°S 151.797°E.
- List of shipwrecks
- "LINDUS CARGO SHIP 1881-1899". wrecksite.eu. 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- Online Databases
- "Lindus". Australian National Shipwreck Database.
- "Australian shipping : Arrivals and Departures 1788-1968". ozships.net.
- "New South Wales Shipwrecks". Encyclopaedia of Australian Shipwrecks. Archived from the original on 2 October 2009.
- Wrecks on the New South Wales Coast. By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995 Oceans Enterprises. 1993 ISBN 978-0-646-11081-3.
- Australian Shipwrecks Vol.1 1622-1850, Charles Bateson, AH and AW Reed, Sydney, 1972, ISBN 0-589-07112-2, Call number 910.4530994 BAT
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.2 1851–1871 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Sydney. Reed, 1980 910.4530994 LON
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.3 1871–1900 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Geelong Vic: List Publishing, 1982 910.4530994 LON
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.4 1901–1986 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Portarlington Vic. Marine History Publications, 1987 910.4530994 LON
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.5 Update 1986 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Portarlington Vic. Marine History Publications, 1991 910.4530994 LON