SS Hantonia (1911)
TSS Hantonia was a passenger vessel built for the London and South Western Railway in 1911.
|Port of registry:||
|Launched:||23 December 1911|
|Out of service:||7 June 1952|
|Tonnage:||1,567 gross register tons (GRT)|
|Length:||290.3 feet (88.5 m)|
|Beam:||36.1 feet (11.0 m)|
|Draught:||15.3 feet (4.7 m)|
The ship was built by the Fairfield Govan and launched on 23 December 1911 as Louvima, but in January 1912 renamed Hantonia. With her sister ship Normannia they entered service between Southampton and Le Havre. They were the first cross-channel steamers to be fitted with single-reduction geared Parsons' turbines, which gave the vessels a speed of over 20 knots but also cut down on the vibration experienced by cross-Channel passengers.
In 1939 Hantonia was requisitioned for a second time by the Admiralty and transported troops between Folkestone and Calais until January 1940. She was then a Royal Navy accommodation ship until 1945. She returned to railway service in 1945 and we deployed on the Channel Islands service, where she returned children who had been evacuated before the German Invasion. From 1946 returned to the Southampton to Le Havre service.
In 1948 Hantonia was acquired by British Railways and was later retired and then scrapped in 1952.
- Duckworth, Christian Leslie Dyce; Langmuir, Graham Easton (1968). Railway and other Steamers. Prescot, Lancashire: T. Stephenson and Sons.
- "Cross Channel Travel". Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald. England. 20 July 1912. Retrieved 17 November 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- "Mothers didn't know them". Lancashire Evening POst. England. 21 July 1945. Retrieved 17 November 2015 – via British Newspaper Archive.