SS Friendship (1897)
Friendship ashore off Tweeds Heads in June 1912 .
|Owner:||Corrigan, B.M. & Co.|
|Port of registry:||Sydney, Australia|
|Builder:||Rock Davis, Sydney|
|Fate:||Wrecked 28 November 1912|
|Length:||30.8 metres (101 ft 1 in)|
|Beam:||8.2 metres (26 ft 11 in)|
|Depth:||2.5 metres (8 ft 2 in)|
|Installed power:||compound engine|
Friendship was constructed in 1897 at the Rock Davis shipyard in Sydney. She was 30.8 metres (101 ft 1 in) long, with a beam of 8.2 metres (26 ft 11 in) and a depth of 2.5 metres (8 ft 2 in), and was assessed at 214 GRT. She had a compound engine driving a single screw propeller. She operated for Corrigan, B.M. & Co. from 1897 until her demise in 1912.
June 1912 grounding
Friendship ran aground off Tweed Heads, New South Wales, on 2 June 1912. It was the first accident of her 15-year career. She was refloated a few days later and returned to service after repairs.
On 28 November 1912, Friendship left Tweed River bound for Sydney with a cargo of tallow. She had made this voyage numerous times with only one accident, the grounding the previous June. This time, however, she ran aground again at Tweed Heads at the end of South Wall. She sank, taking her cargo down with her, but there were no injuries or fatalities.
Friendship′s wreck lies at the entrance to the Tweed River on the coast of New South Wales.
- "SS Friendship (+1912)". Wrecksite.eu. 22 October 2009. Retrieved 4 February 2016.