SS Empire Coleridge
Empire Coleridge was a 9,811 GRT tanker which was built in 1942 by Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). In 1946 she was sold into merchant service and renamed Esso Cheyenne. She was scrapped in 1961.
The ship was propelled by a triple expansion steam engine, which had cylinders of 27 inches (69 cm), 44 inches (110 cm) and 76 inches (190 cm) diameter by 48 inches (120 cm) stroke. The engine was built by North East Marine Engine Co (1938) Ltd, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Empire Coleridge was built for the MoWT. She was placed under the management of the Anglo-American Oil Co Ltd. Her port of registry was Sunderland. The Code Letters BDXQ and United Kingdom Official Number 169020 were allocated.
Empire Coleridge was a member of a number of convoys during the Second World War.
- HX 239
Convoy HX 239 departed New York on 13 May 1943 and arrived at Liverpool on 28 May. Empire Coleridge was bound for Avonmouth, Somerset. Empire Coleridge was equipped with anti-torpedo nets. She was praised by the Convoy Commodore for her exceptional behaviour while a member of the convoy.
- HX 254
- Mitchell, W H, and Sawyer, L A (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, STEAMERS & MOTORSHIPS" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Convoy HX 239". Warsailors. Retrieved 28 April 2010.
- "Convoy HX 254". Warsailors. Retrieved 28 April 2010.