SS Empire Clive
Empire Clive was a 7,069 GRT cargo ship which was built in 1941 by Cammell Laird & Co Ltd, Birkenhead for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). During the Second World War, she served as a CAM ship, armed with a Hawker Hurricane aircraft. In 1946 she was sold and renamed Charlebury. In 1958, she was sold to Hong Kong and renamed Isabel Erica. She served until 1969 when she was scrapped.
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Cammell Laird & Co Ltd|
|Launched:||28 July 1941|
|Class and type:||Cargo ship|
|Length:||432 ft 2 in (131.72 m)|
|Beam:||56 ft 2 in (17.12 m)|
|Depth:||34 ft 2 in (10.41 m)|
|Installed power:||Triple expansion steam engine|
|Armament:||1 x Hawker Hurricane aircraft (Empire Clive)|
The ship was propelled by a triple expansion steam engine, which had cylinders of 23 1⁄2 inches (60 cm), 37 1⁄2 inches (95 cm) and 68 inches (170 cm) diameter by 48 inches (120 cm) stroke. The engine was built by Cammell Laird.
Empire Clive was built for the MoWT. She was placed under the management of Capper, Alexander & Co Ltd. Her port of registry was Liverpool. The Code Letters BCNM and United Kingdom Official Number 168801 were allocated.
Empire Clive was a member of a number of convoys during the Second World War.
- SC 58
- HX 164
- SC 59
Convoy SC 59 departed from Sydney, Cape Breton on 10 December 1941 and arrived at Liverpool on 27 December. Empire Clive, at the time a CAM ship, sailed with this convoy. She was carrying general cargo bound for Avonmouth, Somerset.
- MKS 16
In 1946, Empire Clive was sold to Alexander Shipping Co Ltd and was renamed Charlebury. She was placed under the management of Houlder Bros Ltd, London. In 1958, she was sold to the Red Anchor Line, Hong Kong and renamed Isabel Erica In 1963, she was sold to the St Merryn Shipping Co, and placed under the management of C Moller & Co, Hong Kong. Isabel Erica was scrapped in August 1969 in Hong Kong.
- "List of vessels constructed by Cammell Laird shipbuilders". Wirral Archives. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- Mitchell, W H, and Sawyer, L A (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "CONVOY SC 58". Warsailors. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "CONVOY HX 164". Warsailors. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "CONVOY SC 59". Warsailors. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Spitfire aircraft production page 037". Spitfires. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- "Spitfire aircraft production page 039". Spitfires. Retrieved 22 April 2010.
- The aircraft were Mk.V serial numbers EP152, EP186, EP188 and EP199, also delivered were Mk.VbT serial numbers EP551, EP573, EP606, EP612, EP619 and EP621
- "CONVOY MKS 16". Warsailors. Retrieved 22 April 2010.