SS Colonist (1889)
SS Colonist was a British iron-hulled coastal cargo ship driven by a 3-cylinder triple expansion steam engine. She was built in 1889 by Osbourne, Graham & Co. Ltd, North Hylton, England. She had a complement of 29 crewmembers.
|Owner:||Angier Line, London|
|Port of registry:||London|
|Builder:||Osbourne, Graham & Co. Ltd, North Hylton|
|Identification:||Official number: 96673|
|Status:||Wrecked, 9 September 1894|
|Type:||Iron screw steamer|
|Length:||88.4 m (290 ft 0 in)|
|Beam:||11.6 m (38 ft 1 in)|
|Draught:||6.1 m (20 ft 0 in)|
|Installed power:||Triple expansion engine|
On 9 September 1894, traveling from Newcastle, New South Wales on her way to Adelaide while carrying a cargo of coal the Colonist was wrecked on Newcastle's Oyster Bank at position 32.914°S 151.797°E.
- List of shipwrecks
- "SS Colonist (+1894)". wrecksite.eu. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- Online Databases
- "Colonist". Australian National Shipwreck Database.
- "Australian shipping : Arrivals and Departures 1788-1968". ozships.net.
- "Newcastle, New South Wales Shipwrecks". Encyclopaedia of Australian Shipwrecks.
- Wrecks on the New South Wales Coast. By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995 Oceans Enterprises. 1993 ISBN 978-0-646-11081-3.
- Australian Shipwrecks Vol.1 1622-1850, Charles Bateson, AH and AW Reed, Sydney, 1972, ISBN 0-589-07112-2, Call number 910.4530994 BAT
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.2 1851–1871 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Sydney. Reed, 1980 910.4530994 LON
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.3 1871–1900 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Geelong Vic: List Publishing, 1982 910.4530994 LON
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.4 1901–1986 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Portarlington Vic. Marine History Publications, 1987 910.4530994 LON
- Australian shipwrecks Vol.5 Update 1986 By Loney, J. K. (Jack Kenneth), 1925–1995. Portarlington Vic. Marine History Publications, 1991 910.4530994 LON