SM U-16 (Germany)
U-Boats at Kiel, 1914.
U-22, U-20, U-19, & U-21 (1st row, l-r);
U-14, U-15, U-11, U-16, U-18, and U-?? (2nd row, l-r).
|Ordered:||26 August 1909|
|Laid down:||10 May 1910|
|Launched:||29 August 1911|
|Commissioned:||28 December 1911|
|Fate:||February 1919 - Sunk in an accident in position 58°59′N 08°29′E while on passage to surrender.|
|Class and type:||German Type U 16 submarine|
|Length:||57.80 m (189 ft 8 in)|
|Beam:||6.00 m (19 ft 8 in)|
|Draught:||3.36 m (11 ft 0 in)|
|Test depth:||50 m (160 ft)|
|Boats & landing |
|Complement:||4 officers, 25 men|
Summary of raiding history
|15 February 1915||Dulwich||3,289||Sunk|
|15 February 1915||Ville de Lille||997||Sunk|
|18 February 1915||Dinorah||4,208||Damaged|
|19 February 1915||Belridge||7,020||Damaged|
|26 May 1915||M. Roosval||309||Sunk|
|26 May 1915||Betty||2,109||Sunk|
|28 May 1915||Mars||251||Sunk|
|30 May 1915||Søborg||2,108||Sunk|
|20 September 1915||Thorvaldsen||1,220||Sunk|
|26 September 1915||Ellen Benzon||143||Sunk|
|29 September 1915||Flora||184||Sunk|
|29 September 1915||Actie||562||Sunk|
|30 September 1915||Florida||558||Sunk|
|1 October 1915||Pallas||838||Captured as prize|
- "SM" stands for "Seiner Majestät" (English: His Majesty's) and combined with the U for Unterseeboot would be translated as His Majesty's Submarine.
- Tonnages are in gross register tons
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Claus Hansen". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Leo Hillebrand (Royal House Order of Hohenzollern)". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by U 16". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.