SM U-110 was a Type U 93 U-boat of the German Imperial Navy (German: Kaiserliche Marine) during World War I. She was ordered on 5 May 1916 and launched on 28 July 1917. She was commissioned into the German Imperial Navy on 25 September 1917 as SM U-110. and assigned to IV Flotilla of the High Seas Fleet based on the German North Sea coast.
|Ordered:||5 May 1916|
|Launched:||28 July 1917|
|Commissioned:||25 September 1917|
|Fate:||15 March 1918, sunk by British destroyers|
|Class and type:||German Type U 93 submarine|
|Height:||8.25 m (27 ft 1 in)|
|Draught:||3.90 m (12 ft 10 in)|
|Propulsion:||2 shafts, 2 × 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) propellers|
|Test depth:||50 m (164 ft 1 in)|
|Complement:||4 officers, 32 enlisted|
|Victories:||10 merchant ship sunk (26,963 GRT)|
U-110 made three wartime patrols, and sank 10 ships, totalling 26,963 gross register tons (GRT). Her first success was the British Q ship Penshurst, with which she fought an engagement on 24 December 1917. Penshurst sank shortly after.
In September, 1918 she was raised and taken to Swan Hunter's dry dock for restoration. At the conclusion of hostilities restoration was halted and she was sold for scrap.
Summary of raiding history
|24 December 1917||HMS Penshurst||1,191||Sunk|
|30 December 1917||Zone||3,914||Sunk|
|7 January 1918||Egda||2,527||Sunk|
|4 March 1918||Castle Eden||1,949||Sunk|
|7 March 1918||Vitol||2,639||Sunk|
|7 March 1918||Tarbetnesse||3,018||Sunk|
|8 March 1918||Erica||167||Sunk|
|9 March 1918||Nanny Wignall||93||Sunk|
|10 March 1918||Germaine||1,428||Sunk|
|15 March 1918||Amazon||10,037||Sunk|
- Gröner 1991, pp. 12-14.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Otto von Schubert". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boat commanders: Carl Albrecht Kroll". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Tarrant p56
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by U 110". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net. Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Gröner, Erich; Jung, Dieter; Maass, Martin (1991). U-boats and Mine Warfare Vessels. German Warships 1815–1945. 2. Translated by Thomas, Keith; Magowan, Rachel. London: Conway Maritime Press. ISBN 0-85177-593-4.
- Kemp, Paul : U-Boats Destroyed (1997). ISBN 1-85409-515-3
- Tarrant, VE : The U-Boat Offensive 1914–1945 (1989) ISBN 0-85368-928-8
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "WWI U-boats: U 110". German and Austrian U-boats of World War I - Kaiserliche Marine - Uboat.net.
- "1918: Inside a German U-boat – A sunken sub, raised from the depths". Mashable - Retronaut Old Photographs.