Sekolah Menengah Sains Muar (English: Muar Science Secondary School; abbreviated SAMURA) is a full boarding public residential school (Sekolah Berasrama Penuh) in Tanjung Agas, Tangkak (formerly part of Muar), Johor, Malaysia. It is the only government-funded school in the Tangkak district bearing the title Science School. In 2011, the school was awarded with the Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi or High Performance School title, awarded to schools in Malaysia that have met stringent criteria including academic achievement, strength of alumni, international recognition, network and linkages. Their performance in the recent 2017's Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia examination is GPS of 1.71.
|Type||Public Secondary School, boarding School |
Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi
Sekolah Berasrama Penuh
(To have knowledge, to serve)
|Established||31 May 1983|
|Principal||Tn Hj Mohd Sahabudin bin Jazuli|
|Grades||Form 1-Form 5|
|Number of students||approximately 400 to 500|
|Classrooms||Arif, Bijak, Cerdik, Dinamik, Gigih (lower forms), Tegas (technical)|
|Colour(s)||Blue White Red Yellow|
|Slogan||SAMURA namamu sentiasa terjulang|
|Newspaper||Samura Post, Al-Wasilah|
|Affiliations||Sekolah Berasrama Penuh Ministry of Education (Malaysia)|
The school was established on 31 May 1983 in Tanjung Agas, Muar, Johor, on a 42-acre (170,000 m2) site near the main road that connects the cities of Muar and Tangkak. 204 first-former students registered that day. In the following month, a second group of 421 students under the sponsorship of Malaysian Department of Civil Service registered to undergo TOEFL preparation course for overseas universities. A third group of students, consisting of 175 fourth-former students, registered on 1 September 1983.
The school enrolled Form 1 students at the beginning of its operation. However commencing from 1988, SMS Muar ceased the intake of Form 1 students. Since then, it accepted only Form 4 students. Although for a short and limited period of time from 1991 to 1994, it did receive Upper and Lower Sixth formers as well. SMS Muar has now resumed to accept intakes of the Form 1 students commencing from 2016 until to-date.
In 1992, the school achieved a 100% grade one (1st. Grade) result in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (Malaysian Certificate of Education). Upon completion of the Sixth Formers batch of STPM 1994, the school was chosen to provide a matriculation programme for Universiti Malaysia Sabah from 1995 up to until May 2000. Thereafter until 2015, SMS Muar (lovingly acronymed as "SAMURA") has only fourth and fifth formers.
From 2005 until 2009, SAMURA achieved no. 1 ranks for SPM examination results in Johor school for four consecutive years from 2005 to 2009, outperforming other SBP schools in the state primarily Sekolah Tun Fatimah and Sekolah Menengah Sains Johor.
In 2016, after the redelineation of districts & introduction of a few new districts in Johor DT state, SAMURA was classified as a school within the district of Tangkak and no longer under the administration of Muar district.
Menunaikan khidmat dan jasa
Berilmu Berbakti amalan semua
Restui kami dari ibu dan bapa
Semoga kami berjaya
Untuk nusa dan bangsa
Kamilah pelita alam semesta
Tunas pemimpin negara
Pelopor pada kemajuan pembangunan
SMS mengorak langkah
Doa kami pada Allah yang Esa
Menyanjung segala usaha
Menuju ke arah matlamat utama
Berusaha akan berjaya
To fulfill our service and deeds
To have knowledge and to serve is the practice of all
Achieving the goal
Blessings from our mothers and fathers
So we may succeed
Moving by steps
For the country and its people
We are the light of the universe
The budding leaders
Pioneers in the development and progress
SMS is moving forward
Our prayers to Allah the Almighty
Praised all the effort
Towards the main goal
Strive to be successful
- Datuk Khairussaleh Ramli (CEO/MD RHB Bank Bhd and RHB Group) - Class of '84
- Ambassador Siti Hajjar Adnin (Malaysia's Ambassador to Ireland) - Class of '85
- Ali Hassan bin Mohd Hassan (CEO & Founder Al-Ikhsan Sports) - Class of '87
- Omar Mustapha Ong (Former Advisor to the 6th Prime Minister of Malaysia) - Class of '88
- Wan Hasliza Wan Zainuddin (Film Director/Producer) - Class of '90
- Tuan Syed Alwi Mohamed Sultan (Former CEO AgroBank Malaysia Berhad) - Class of '91
- Hasrul Farid Hasnan (Chief Internal Auditor, SME Bank Malaysia Berhad) - Class of '91
- YB. Hahasrin Hashim (ADUN Johor N.34 Panti) - Class of '93
- Mohd Idzwan bin Yacob (Nasyid member's group, Firdaus & Headmaster of INASIS TNB, UUM) - Class of '93
- Dato' SM Azli bin Tan Sri SM Nasimuddin (Executive Director Go Auto Sales, CEO HAVAL Malaysia) - Class of '01
- Nur Syakirin Husnal Az Hari (Celebrity Presenter) - Class of '06
- Hawa Rizwana Redzuan (TV3 Presenter) - Class of '12
- "23 Buah Sekolah Diiktiraf Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi - Berita Semasa - mStar". www.mstar.com.my.
- "Senarai Ranking Sekolah SBP Terbaik Keputusan SPM 2012 - melvister.com". www.melvister.com.