Sekolah Menengah Sains Johor (English: Johore Science Secondary School; abbreviated SMSJ), is a boarding school located in Kluang, Johor, Malaysia. Established on 23 May 1973, SMSJ is the first boarding school or Sekolah Berasrama Penuh (SBP) ever built in the state of Johor. SMSJ is the 16th SBP built in Malaysia under the 2nd Malaysia Plan. In 2011, the school celebrates its 38th year of operation. The school is widely known as Sains Johor and an alumnus of this school is known as a SAJOHA (SAins JOHor Alumni).
|Type||Public boarding school |
Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi
|Motto||Budi Karya Bakti |
Wisdom Opus Devotion
|Founded||23 May 1973|
|Principal||Encik Kuswandi Tayen|
|Grades||Form 1 - 5|
|Gender||Male & Female|
|Age range||13 - 17|
|Number of students||approx. 600|
|Classes||Lower Form: Malaysia, Matlamat, Merdeka, Muafakat Upper Form: Signifikan, Sinergi, Superior (Science), Terma, Tesla (Technical)|
|Language||Malay, English, Mandarin, German, Arabic|
|Houses||Purnama, Suria, Buana, Segara|
|Slogan||Saya Mahu Sentiasa Juara|
|Nickname||Science Johore, SMSJ , SMSJDT, SCORE|
|Affiliations||Sekolah Berasrama Penuh|
Ministry of Education Malaysia
|Alumni||Sains Johor Alumni (SAJOHA)|
SMSJ was established in the year 1973 under the Second Malaysia Plan. The foundation of the construction was officiated by the Director of Education, Tun Hamdan bin Sheikh Tahir.
Students of the first batch was placed temporarily in English College Johore Bahru until the completion of the school's infrastructure in the month of April 1974. The first principal was Tuan Syed Ahmad Omar Al-Atas and since then, 13 principals have been on duty.
Situated at a mere one kilometre from Kluang, the school covers an area of 32 acres and it provides ample facilities for secondary students. From the year 1974 to 1984, the school received Form 6 students and from the year 1985 until 1989, the school carried out GCE A-Level. After that, the school maintains receiving only Form 1 to Form 5 students until now.
The main field (Padang A), was completed in 1976 and the second field (Padang B), was completed in 1988. The fields are used for various sports occasions and trainings.
Since 1996, the school reserved two classes for students majoring in Technical Science and three classes for students majoring in Pure Science. SCORE was named a smart school in 1999.
In 2011, the school received the Cluster School title (thanks to the school's tremendous Mathematics and hockey team achievements), and finally in 2012, the school was officially designated as one of the high performance schools in Malaysia.
|1.||1973||1974||Tuan Syed Ahmad b. Syed Omar|
|2.||1974||1981||Hamzah b. Hj.Abdul Rahid, P.I.S|
|3.||1982||1984||Tuan Haji Abu Bakar b. Bachik|
|4.||1984||1985||Abd Malik b. Ismail|
|5.||1986||1987||Tuan Hj. Shukor b. Md Dom, P.I.S|
|6.||1987||1988||Tuan Hj. Mohd Ropi b. Jahis, P.I.S|
|7.||1988||1994||Tuan Hj. Abu Naim b. Hj Siran, P.I.S|
|8.||1994||1997||Jailani b. Rusni|
|9.||1997||Dec 1997||Tuan Hj. Rokhani b. Mangi|
|10.||Apr 1998||Dec 1998||Tuan Hj. Abdullah b. Idrus|
|11.||Dec 1998||Jun 2001||Tuan Hj. Umar b. Kamari|
|12.||Jun 2001||Aug 2002||Tuan Hj. Kamarudin b. Abu|
|13.||2002||2010||Tuan Hj. Nojumuddin b. Abd Samad|
|14.||2010||Aug 2013||Tuan Hj. Idris B. Ahmad|
|15.||Aug 2013||2017||Encik Ibrahim B. Omar|
|16.||2018||present||Tuan Hj. Kuswandi B. Tayen|
Current Batches (as on year 2019)
- Form 5 (ZENITH 1519) (46th batch)
- Form 4 (NEOS 1620) (47th batch)
- Form 3 (EMERALD 1721) (48th batch)
- Form 2 (CELESTIAL 1822 ) (49th batch)
- Form 1 ( FUSION 1923 ) ( 50th batch)
Year by year, SMSJ continues to excel in both PMR and SPM, the two major public examinations in Malaysia. The school proves itself to be worthy when it succeed to produce a high percentage of straight "A" scorers for both examinations.
The PMR record was broken in the year 2011 with a school average grade value of 1.01 placing SMSJ on the 7th place among all the other residential schools; successfully beating other elite schools and past high-achievers.
The SPM record in the other hand is still being held by the 2008 batch with a school average grade of 1.906 placing SMSJ on the 7th place among all other residential schools.
- YB Hj Aminolhuda Hj Hassan - Johor State EXCO 2018-2022 Pengerusi Jawatankuasa Hal Ehwal Agama Islam & Pendidikan Negeri Johor, Pengerusi AMANAH Negeri Johor
- YBhg Datuk Dr Mohd Shah Mahmood - Director of National Forensic Medicine Institute, Malaysia
- YB Datuk Ahmad Maslan - Former Deputy Minister of International Trade and Industry, Ahli Parlimen Pontian
- YBhg Dato' Hidayat Abdul Hamid - Malaysia High Commissioner to India
- YBhg Datuk Dr. Aminuddin Hassim - Presiden Perbadanan Putrajaya
- YBhg Prof Dr Ghizan Salleh - Ketua Kluster Pertanian & Makanan Majlis Profesor Negara, Former 1st SAJOHA President
- Dato’ Haji Azmar Talib - CEO TRX Tun Razak Exchange City Sdn Bhd
- Dato' Hj Ahmad Ridza bin Bukhari - Owner Ain Furnishing Sdn Bhd
- YBhg. Datuk Hj. Ahamad Kamel Ismail - General Manager Yayasan Melaka
- Datuk Ir Zainudin A.Kadir - Former CEO Projek Lintasan Kota Holdings Sdn Bhd (Prolintas)
- Dato' Azman Mohd Arof - Owner Aerosystem Tour & Travel Sdn Bhd (Bas Ekspress Mayang Sari)
- Dato' Sr Rosli Atan - Managing Director Ian Scott International- Rentier Advisory Services Sdn. Bhd.
- Datin Rashidah Mohd Sies - Setiausaha Bahagian, Bahagian Syarikat Pelaburan Kerajaan, Kementerian Kewangan
- Ragunath Kesavan - Former President of the Malaysian Bar Council
- Tuan Hj Salehuddin Hj Hassan - Datuk Bandar Majlis Bandaraya Iskandar Puteri (MBIP) Iskandar Puteri City Council
- Tuan Hj Zulkifly Hj Mohd Tahir - Pegawai Daerah Pontian District
- Tuan Hj Azman Haji Mohamed Shah - CEO Kumpulan Pendidikan Yayasan Pelajaran Johor (KPYPJ)
- Encik Mohammad Diah Hj Wahari - Ketua Pegawai Maklumat (CIO) Kementerian Komunikasi dan Multimedia Malaysia
- Encik Zainal Abas - Pengarah Bahagian Sukan, Kokurikulum dan Kesenian-KPM, Former Head Coach of Malaysia National Athletics, Former TV Sports Announcer
- Zainal Alam Abd Kadir - Associate Editor The Malaysian Reserve
- Shamsudin Ali - Cromok Band Vocalist and Bassist
- Dr Mohd Mazri Yahya - Vascular Surgery Specialist KPJ Johor, Timbalan Pesuruhjaya PAS Negeri Johor
- Amir Hassan - Blogger Denaihati.com
- Vikneswaran Iswarapatham - Deputy President Kuala Lumpur Hockey Association (KLHA), Former coach Pasukan Hoki Terengganu-THT (Terengganu Hockey Team), Former Malaysia National Hockey Player
- Azmi Samuri - Chief Information Security Officer Bank Islam Malaysia
- Mohd Rezwan Abdullah Ismail - Chief Risk And Compliance Officer Tabung Haji Malaysia
- Mohd Rizal Jailan - Managing Director Inokom Corporation Sdn Bhd
- Ahmad Shahriman Mohd Shariff - CEO CIMB Islamic Bank Malaysia