SIGMETRICS is the Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on Measurement and Evaluation, which specializes in the field of performance analysis, measurement, and modeling of computer systems. It is also the name of an annual 'flagship' conference, organized by SIGMETRICS since 1973, which is considered to be the leading conference in performance analysis and modeling in the world. Known to have an extremely low acceptance rate (~15%), many of the landmark works in the area have been published through it.
Beyond the flagship conference, SIGMETRICS also promotes research into performance evaluation through a number of other activities. It co-sponsors other prestigious conferences: the Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), the International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE), the IEEE/ACM Symposium on Quality of Service (IWQoS), the ACM International Conference on Systems for Energy-Efficient Built Environments (BuildSys), and the ACM Conference on Embedded Network Sensor Systems (SenSys). In addition, every third year the SIGMETRICS conference is held jointly with IFIP performance. Additionally, SIGMETRICS produces a newsletter, Performance Evaluation Review, with both peer-reviewed and editorial content.
SIGMETRICS has three awards that are given out on an annual basis:
- The SIGMETRICS Achievement Award, which recognizes a senior researcher who has made long-lasting influential contributions to computer/communication performance evaluation.
- The SIGMETRICS Rising Star Award, which recognizes a junior researcher who demonstrates outstanding potential for research in computer/communication performance evaluation.
- The SIGMETRICS Test of Time Award, which recognizes an influential SIGMETRICS paper from 10–12 years previously.
- 2019 Mary K. Vernon
- 2018 Jim Dai
- 2017 Sem Borst
- 2016 John Tsitsiklis
- 2015 Bruce Hajek
- 2014 François Baccelli
- 2013 Jean Walrand
- 2012 Debasis Mitra
- 2011 Onno J. Boxma
- 2010 Jeffrey P. Buzen
- 2009 Frank Kelly
- 2008 Erol Gelenbe
- 2007 Don Towsley
- 2006 Richard R. Muntz
- 2005 Stephen S. Lavenberg
- 2004 Ken C. Sevcik
- 2003 Edward G. Coffman, Jr.
Rising star award
Test of time award
- Rajagopalan, S.; Shah, D.; Shin, J. "Network adiabatic theorem: an efficient randomized protocol for contention resolution". SIGMETRICS 2009. doi:10.1145/2492101.1555365.
- Lu, Y.; Montanari, A.; Prabhakar, B.; Dharmapurikar, S.; Kabbani, A. "Counter braids: a novel counter architecture for per-flow measurement". SIGMETRICS 2008. doi:10.1145/1384529.1375472.
- Bairavasundaram, L. N.; Goodson, G. R.; Pasupathy, S.; Schindler, J. "An analysis of latent sector errors in disk drives". SIGMETRICS 2007. doi:10.1145/1269899.1254917.
- Urgaonkar, B.; Pacifici, G.; Shenoy, P.; Spreitzer, M.; Tantawi, A. "An analytical model for multi-tier internet services and its applications". SIGMETRICS 2005. doi:10.1145/1064212.1064252.
- Moore, A.; Zuev, D. "Internet traffic classification using bayesian analysis techniques". SIGMETRICS 2005. doi:10.1145/1064212.1064220.
- Blackburn, S.; Cheng, P.; McKinley, K. "Myths and realities: the performance impact of garbage collection". SIGMETRICS 2004. doi:10.1145/1005686.1005693.
- Zhang, Y.; Roughan, M.; Duffield, N.; Greenberg, A. "Fast Accurate Computation of Large-Scale IP Traffic Matrices from Link Loads" (PDF). SIGMETRICS 2003. doi:10.1145/885651.781053.
- Buzen, Jeffrey P. "Fundamental Laws of Computer System Performance". SIGMETRICS 1976. doi:10.1145/800200.806196.
- Eager, Derek; Lazowska, Ed; Zahorjan, John. "A Comparison of Receiver-initiated and Sender-initiated Adaptive Load Sharing". SIGMETRICS 1985. doi:10.1145/317795.317802.
- Crovella, Mark E.; Bestavros, Azer. "Self-similarity in World Wide Web Traffic: Evidence and Possible Causes" (PDF). SIGMETRICS 1996. doi:10.1145/233013.233038.
- "SIGMETRICS History Stories". SIGMETRICS. Retrieved 2011-08-02.
- "SIGMETRICS Awards". SIGMETRICS. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- SIGMETRICS Conference (2012). "SIGMETRICS 2012 Program". Retrieved 26 April 2012.
- "Conviva Co-Founder Zhang Lands 'Test of Time' Award from Global Technology Research Body". Business Wire. 2011-06-17.