SAN Jodel D.140 Mousquetaire
|SAN Jodel D.140 Mousquetaire|
|Role||Five-seat light touring monoplane|
|Manufacturer||Société Aéronautique Normande (SAN)|
|First flight||4 July 1958|
|Status||Plans available (2012)|
|Primary user||French Air Force|
|Number built||243 (factory built)|
€800 (plans, 2015)
SAN had been producing the earlier Jodel D.117 under licence from which it then developed the larger 4 to 5-seat D.140. The prototype D.140 registration F-BIZE first flew on 4 July 1958. Early versions had a low triangular-shaped fin and rudder.
The final version was a glider tug variant the D.140R Abeille. Both the D.140E and D.140R were ordered by the French Air Force. As well as 243 factory-built aircraft more than 20 have been homebuilt from plans. The type was flown by aero clubs and private owners and remains in use in 2014.
- D.140 Mousquetaire
- Prototype powered by a 180hp Lycoming O-360 engine, one built.
- D.140A Mousquetaire
- Production variant with cabin ventilation, 45 built.
- D.140B Mousquetaire II
- Improved variant with better brakes, new engine cowling and better ventilation, 56 built.
- D.140C Mousquetaire III
- A D.140B with an enlarged swept tail, 70 built.
- D.140E Mousquetaire IV
- A D.140C with a further enlarged tail, modified ailerons and an all flying elevator/tailplane, 43 built.
- D.140R Abeille
- Glider towing variant with cut-down rear fuselage, new high vision canopy, 28 built first flown in 1965.
- Crew: 1
- Capacity: 3 passengers
- Length: 7.90 m (25 ft 11 in)
- Wingspan: 10.22 m (33 ft 6 in)
- Height: 2.15 m (7 ft 1 in)
- Wing area: 17.9 m2 (193 sq ft)
- Airfoil: NACA 23015
- Empty weight: 660 kg (1,455 lb)
- Max takeoff weight: 1,200 kg (2,646 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming O-360-A1A air-cooled flat-four piston engine, 130 kW (180 hp)
- Maximum speed: 250 km/h (160 mph, 130 kn)
- Cruise speed: 220 km/h (140 mph, 120 kn) (econ cruise)
- Stall speed: 55 km/h (34 mph, 30 kn)
- Range: 1,200 km (750 mi, 650 nmi)
- Service ceiling: 4,500 m (14,800 ft)
- Rate of climb: 5.00 m/s (985 ft/min)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jodel D140.|
- Simpson 1991, pp.283-284
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 94. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Tacke, Willi; Marino Boric; et al: World Directory of Light Aviation 2015-16, page 99. Flying Pages Europe SARL, 2015. ISSN 1368-485X
- Taylor 1962, p. 53
- Simpson, R.W. (1991). Airlife's General Aviation. England: Airlife Publishing. ISBN 1-85310-194-X.
- Taylor, John W. R. (1962). Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1962–63. London: Sampson Low, Marston & Co. Ltd.