Vick was born West Hartlepool, the son of Richard William Vick JP and Emily née Oughtred. He was educated at The Leys School and Jesus College, Cambridge. He married Marjorie Hester Compston and the couple had two daughters and two sons, the younger of whom, Arnold Russell, also became a barrister and judge.
He served in the Durham Light Infantry during World War I, being called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1917, and practised successfully, largely as a criminal lawyer. He served both as Chairman of the Bar Council and variously as a recorder in Richmond (1930-1931), Halifax (1931-1939) and Newcastle-upon-Tyne (1939-1956). He was subsequently made a county court judge, and became a bencher of the Inner Temple. He was knighted in the 1950 King's Birthday Honours List.
His service on public enquiries included:
|Labour||Benjamin Charles Spoor||10,060|
|Coalition Liberal||Godfrey Russell Vick||7,417|
|Liberal||Dr. Vickerman Henzell Rutherford||2,411|
|Progressive||Godfrey Russell Vick||1,454|
|Municipal Reform||Major W Weber||1,116|
|Municipal Reform||Rosamund Smith||1,110|
|Labour gain from Progressive||Swing|
|Labour||David Thomas Jones||16,502||41.2||n/a|
|Conservative||Thomas George Greenwell||16,227||40.5||-23.6|
|Liberal||Godfrey Russell Vick||6,903||17.3||n/a|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||n/a|
- Who Was Who 1897-2006 (2007)
- Wade Baron (1966) p.58
- Home Office (1958)
- London Municipal Notes - Volumes 18-23, London Municipal Society
- British Parliamentary Election Results 1918-1949, FWS Craig
- Home Office (1945) "London County Council remand homes: report of Committee of Inquiry" Cmd.6594
- Home Office (1958) "Allegations of Ill-Treatment of Prisoners in Her Majesty's Prison, Liverpool" Cmnd.503
- Ministry of Fuel and Power.Committee on Petrol Rationing Control (1948) "Evasions of petrol rationing control" Cmd.7372
- Wade Baron, S. (1966). The Contact Man: The Story of Sidney Stanley and the Lynskey Tribunal. Secker & Warburg.
- Who Was Who 1897-2006 (2007) "Vick, His Honour Judge Sir Godfrey Russell", retrieved 25 August 2007 (subscription required)