Rozala of Italy
Rozala of Italy (also known as Rozala of Lombardy, Rozala of Ivrea or Susanna of Ivrea; c. 950–960 –1003) was a Countess of Flanders and Queen consort of the Franks. She was regent of Flanders in 987-988 during the minority of her son.
|Rozala of Italy|
|Countess consort of Flanders|
|Countess regent of Flanders|
|Reign||987 – c. 995|
on behalf of Baldwin IV of Flanders
|Queen consort to co-king of France|
|Queen consort of France|
|Spouse||Arnulf II of Flanders|
Robert II of France
|Issue||Baldwin IV of Flanders|
|House||House of Ivrea|
House of Flanders by marriage
House of Capet by marriage
|Father||Berengar II of Italy|
|Mother||Willa of Tuscany|
Rozala (Susanna), born sometime between 950–960, was the daughter of King Berengar of Ivrea, King of Italy (c. 900 – 966). Her mother was Willa of Tuscany, the daughter of Boso, Margrave of Tuscany and his wife Willa. In 968 she married Arnulf II, Count of Flanders (d. 987). On her husband's death, she acted as regent for her young son.
On c. 1 April 988 she married secondly the much younger Robert the Pious (972–1031), the Rex Filius of France; the marriage had been arranged by his father Hugh Capet. According to disputed account she brought her husband Montreuil and Ponthieu as a dowry, others assert that she was bequeathed her right to that territory. Upon her marriage, she took the name of Susannah, and was the queen consort of the co-ruling king Robert, under senior King Hugh. From 991/992 the couple lived basically separated as Rozala had become too old (c. 38) to have more children and they lacked marital happiness.
When her father-in-law died in 996, however, Robert repudiated her completely, desiring to marry Bertha of Burgundy in her place. That marriage was not lawful because of too close kinship so Robert married a third time 1003 with Constance of Arles who bore him seven children.
Rozala was firstly (968–987) married to Arnulf II, Count of Flanders. They had the following children:
- Baldwin IV, Count of Flanders (980–1035)
- Mathilda (d. 995).
The second marriage (988–996) with Robert II of France did not produce any children.
|Ancestors of Rozala of Italy|
- Detlev Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten, Neue Folge, Band II (Marburg, Germany: J. A. Stargardt, 1984), Tafel 5
- Detlev Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten, Neue Folge, Band II (Marburg, Germany: J. A. Stargardt, 1984), Tafel 59
- Vasiliev 1951, p. 233-234.
- Poppe 1976, p. 232.
- Detlev Schwennicke, Europäische Stammtafeln: Stammtafeln zur Geschichte der Europäischen Staaten, Neue Folge, Band II (Marburg, Germany: J. A. Stargardt, 1984), Tafel 11
- Nicholas 1992, p. 44.
- Nicholas, David (1992). Medieval Flanders. Longman.
- Poppe, Andrzej (1976). "The Political Background to the Baptism of Rus': Byzantine-Russian Relations between 986-89". Dumbarton Oaks Papers. 30: 195. doi:10.2307/1291395. JSTOR 1291395.
- Vasiliev, Aleksandr Aleksandrovich (1951). "Hugh Capet of France and Byzantium". Dumbarton Oaks Papers. 6: 227. doi:10.2307/1291087. JSTOR 1291087.
Rozala of ItalyBorn: c. 950–960 Died: 1003
Adele of Vermandois
Ogive of Luxembourg
| Queen consort to co-king of the Franks
Adelaide of Aquitaine
| Queen consort of the Franks
Bertha of Burgundy