Royal Tank Regiment Memorial
The sculptural group depicts the five-man crew of a World War II-era Comet tank at 1½ times life size. General Sir Antony Walker, who was in charge of fundraising for the memorial, described it as "a memorial to the men of the regiment, rather than the machines". It is an enlarged version of a maquette by George Henry Paulin in the Tank Museum, Bovington, Dorset, which dates to 1953. Mallock's husband had been an officer in the RTR in the 1960s. A resin cast of Mallock's group also stands outside the Tank Museum.
The memorial was unveiled by Queen Elizabeth II, Colonel-in-Chief of the RTR, on 13 June 2000. She was escorted to the ceremony by an armoured Rolls Royce from 1924, a precursor to the tank. The date was the centenary of a battle in the Second Boer War in which the tank pioneer Sir Ernest Dunlop Swinton first realised the value of using armoured machines in warfare. Other memorials to the RTR are in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffordshire.
- "Royal Tank Regiment Memorial", Vivien Mallock Bronze Sculptor, retrieved 8 July 2016
- Ward-Jackson, Philip (2011), Public Sculpture of Historic Westminster: Volume 1, Public Sculpture of Britain, 14, Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, pp. 430–32, ISBN 978-1-84631-691-3
- Historic England, "Royal Tank Regiment War Memorial (1355210)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 8 July 2016
Media related to Royal Tank Regiment Memorial, Whitehall Place at Wikimedia Commons