Rory O'Brien (Australian rules footballer)
Rory O'Brien (born 28 June 1986) is an Australian rules footballer currently playing for the Peel Thunder Football Club in the West Australian Football League (WAFL). He is the older brother of Brock O'Brien.
|Full name||Rory O'Brien|
|Date of birth||28 June 1986|
|Original team(s)||Pinjarra Junior Football Club|
|Height||172 cm (5 ft 8 in)|
|Weight||80 kg (176 lb)|
|Current club||Peel Thunder Football Club|
|2005–07, 2009–10, 2016 –||Peel Thunder||92 (85)|
|2008||North Adelaide||16 (16)|
|2011–2015||East Fremantle||105 (54)|
|Representative team honours|
|2011, 2013||Western Australia||2 (1)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2015.
O'Brien made his league debut for Peel Thunder in round 1 of the 2005 season and was voted the club's best and fairest player in 2006. He spent the 2008 season at North Adelaide Football Club in the South Australian National Football League, before returning to Peel Thunder in 2009. After winning Peel's best and fairest award for a second time in 2010, he transferred to East Fremantle for the 2011 season. 2011 also saw O'Brien make his state debut for Western Australia.
During his time at East Fremantle, O'Brien has been awarded the Lynn Medal for the club's best and fairest on three occasions; in 2011 and 2014 he was the sole winner, while he shared the award with Andrew Stephen in 2013. In 2013, O'Brien won the Sandover Medal for the best and fairest player in the WAFL with 55 votes.
- "East Fremantle's Rory O'Brien wins the 2013 Sandover Medal". The Sunday Times. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "Rory O'BRIEN (East Fremantle)". West Australia Football League. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "Lynn Medallists - East Fremantle FC". East Fremantle Football Club. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "East Fremantle's Rory O'Brien wins Sandover Medal by clear margin". ABC News. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- Horton, Stuart (5 February 2016). "Peel Thunder heralds return of former Sandover Medallist Rory O'Brien for 2016 WAFL season". Community Newspaper Group. Archived from the original on 22 March 2016. Retrieved 16 March 2016.