Room and board
Room and board describes a situation where, in exchange for money, labor or other considerations, a person is provided with a place to live as well as meals on a comprehensive basis. It commonly occurs as a fee at colleges and universities; it also occurs in hotel-style accommodation for short stays.
|Look up room and board in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Room refers to a private bedroom provided
- Board may refer to the food being provided, or alternatively, the table on which food is served.
With a room and board arrangement, the renter has a private bedroom and shares the rest of the house with the person renting out the room. This is different from renting where the renter has private living areas, including a bedroom, bathroom and kitchen.
Two commonly encountered boards are:
- Half Board, where the host provides only a breakfast and dinner meals.
- Full Board, where the host provides all three daily meals.
Another option is:
- Bed and breakfast, literally, a place to sleep and where breakfast is provided.