Roman Catholic Diocese of Montepulciano-Chiusi-Pienza
The Italian Catholic Diocese of Montepulciano-Chiusi-Pienza (Latin: Dioecesis Montis Politiani-Clusina-Pientina), in Tuscany, has existed in the current form since 1986. In that year the diocese of Chiusi-Pienza was united into the historical Diocese of Montepulciano. The diocese is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Siena-Colle di Val d'Elsa-Montalcino.
Diocese of Montepulciano-Chiusi-Pienza
Dioecesis Montis Politiani-Clusina-Pientina
|Ecclesiastical province||Siena-Colle di Val d'Elsa-Montalcino|
|Area||1,068 km2 (412 sq mi)|
|(as of 2004)|
|Established||10 November 1561|
|Cathedral||Cattedrale di S. Maria Assunta (Montepulciano)|
|Co-cathedral||Concattedrale di S. Secondiano (Chius)|
Concattedrale di Maria SS. Assunta (Pienza)
On March 25, 2000, Rodolfo Cetoloni was appointed bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Chiusi-Pienza-Montepulciano by the Pope John Paul II, receiving episcopal ordination on May 20, 2000. On Tuesday, May 28, 2013, Pope Francis appointed Cetoloni as bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Grosseto.
Montepulciano belonged originally to the diocese of Arezzo, and had a collegiate church, whose archpriest became a mitred abbot in 1400; in 1480 it became a prælatura nullius, and in 1561 was made an episcopal see.
Its first bishop was Spinello Benci (1562); among the others were:
- Talento de' Talenti (1640), a savant;
- Antonio Cervini (1663);
- Pietro Francesi (1737) opposed the novelties of the Council of Florence in 1787;
- Pellegrino Maria Carletti (1802), author of several works and of eighteen letters on the National Council of Paris of 1810, which he attended.
- Catholic Hierarchy page
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-06-07. Retrieved 2013-05-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Catholic Encyclopedia article