Rogue's March (film)
Rogue's March is a 1953 American historical adventure film directed by Allan Davis, with special location sequences directed by Geoffrey Barkas, and starring Peter Lawford, Richard Greene, and Janice Rule. It was partly shot on location in the Khyber Pass.
|Directed by||Allan Davis|
|Produced by||Leon Gordon|
|Written by||Leon Gordon|
|Music by||Alberto Colombo|
|Cinematography||Paul C. Vogel|
|Edited by||Gene Ruggiero|
|February 13, 1953|
In the Victorian era, a British officer is falsely accused of treason and drummed out of his regiment. He re-enlists as a private under an assumed name and tries to prove his innocence.
MGM made the film in the wake of their success with Kim (1950). That film was written by Leon Gordon, who wrote and produced this. The film was to have starred Stewart Granger and involve extensive location shooting in the Khyber Pass. Patricia Neal was to co star.
However eventually Peter Lawford was cast instead. Directing duties were given to Allan Davis of the Old Vic Company, who was on a tour of American university theatres for the Rockefeller Foundation before being offered an MGM directing contract; in the event, it turned out to be the only film he made for the studio.
Rogue's March was Lawford's last film under contract to MGM. The cast also included Lawford's father, Lieutenant General Sir Sidney Turing Barlow Lawford, who died of natural causes two days after the film's February 13, 1953 opening.
- Peter Lawford as Capt. Dion Lenbridge/Pvt. Harry Simms
- Richard Greene as Capt. Thomas Garron
- Janice Rule as Jane Wensley
- Leo G. Carroll as Col. Lenbridge
- John Abbott as Herbert Bielensen
- Patrick Aherne as Maj. Wensley
- John Dodsworth as Maj. Mac Street
- Herbert Deans as Prosecutor
- Hayden Rorke as Maj. Fallow
- John Lupton as Lt. Jersey
- Barry Bernard as Sergeant
- Charles Davis as Cpl. Biggs
- Jack Raine as Gen. Woodberry
- Richard Hale as Emissary
- Michael Pate as Crane
- Skelton Knaggs as Fish
- Sean McClory as McGinty
- Otto Waldis as Alex
- Hugh French as Capt. Foster
- Leslie Denison as Lt. Col. Harvill
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study
- Drama: Montalban Will Star in 'Equilibrium;' Rita's Contract New Termer Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 20 Dec 1951: A9.
- Looking at Hollywood: Susan Hayward, Lundigan Cast in New Film Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 17 Jan 1952: c5.
- PAUL JARRICO SUES R. K. O. FOR $350,000: Writer Seeks Damages From Hughes in Dispute Over 'Las Vegas Story' Screen Credit Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 29 Mar 1952: 19.
- Greene Wins Stellar Post in Metro Film; Vistascope Deal Set Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 14 Apr 1952: B9.
- "Rogue's March", Turner Classic Monthly accessed 28 April 2015